Author Topic: Steering column rebuild  (Read 7131 times)

emanuelK

• View Profile
Steering column rebuild
« on: November 02, 2008, 07:54:08 AM »
Hi guys. I plan to tear my column apart and do some minor restoration.
The bearings don't sound as good as desired and the cancelling mechanism for the turn signal doesn’t work.

My question is, can I do this myself or does this require special tools and skills?
Is there anything to calibrate?
Anybody having an explode view of this as a start-up help?

Any input is very much appreciated. Thanks / Emanuel

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Steering column rebuild
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 04:43:48 PM »
Year? Floor or column shift? Tilt or non-tilt?
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

emanuelK

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 04:47:40 PM »
1967, no tilt and floor shift.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 04:55:52 PM »
Section 9 (Steering) in the Chevy 1967 Chassis Service Manual has an extensive procedure and illustrations for disassembly/assembly of the various steering columns.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

mrdetails

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 08:21:52 PM »
Check out the "Columns Galore" web site. Not sure if I spelled it right, just hack around a while, you'll find it. they did mine..excelent job. I think they also supply parts.

Good luck

emanuelK

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 10:29:25 PM »
I will buy the manual and hopefully be able get the job done on my own. Thanks

qwertyme77

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 02:28:45 AM »
fyi...... I had a turn signal cancel switch go bad in my 1986 Cavalier. I was able to use the internal parts from a junk (back then) 67 camaro column to fix my cav switch. I would imagine that you could go the opposite direction to fix your non- cancel problem. A piece of plastic was broken in mine and i just transplanted the same style piece from the camaro column. I hope this helps you save a few bucks from those people who would charge you big bucks for a NOS switch.  ;D

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 06:09:11 AM »
Hi guys. I plan to tear my column apart and do some minor restoration.
The bearings don't sound as good as desired and the cancelling mechanism for the turn signal doesn’t work.

My question is, can I do this myself or does this require special tools and skills?
Is there anything to calibrate?
Anybody having an explode view of this as a start-up help?

Any input is very much appreciated. Thanks / Emanuel

Emanuel -

If the turn signal switch is still working electrically you don't have to buy a new turn signal switch assembly.  If the only thing not working on the switch is the cancelling mechanism, chances are one or both of the return springs inside the turn signal switch is/are broken.  You can buy these springs (about a $1.00 each) at your local GM dealer.  Replaced both even if only one is broken.  The springs are different (right side vs left side) and thus are color coded.  You can easily replace these springs yourself in less than an hour as long as you have a steering wheel puller ( http://www.mactools.com/Mac/Mac+Products/Catalog/Automotive+Specialty/Pullers/Bolt+Grip/Steering+Wheel/SWP80 ) and a steering wheel lock plate remover ( http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=&item_ID=84889&group_ID=1243&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog ).  Good luck.     :)

Paul

anything