Author Topic: Racing At The NHRA Dutch Classic  (Read 11960 times)

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Racing At The NHRA Dutch Classic
« on: October 29, 2008, 04:18:56 AM »
Just wanted to pass along to all on this forum who enjoy drag racingt that we had a good couple of weekends in debuting our new 1967 Z28 "Project Stocker."  Will post some new race photos on my website soon.  www.z28camaro.com.

On the first outing two weeks ago at the NHRA Virginia Nationals, the car ran a 10.79 on the very first pass.  That's one second under the D/Stock index of 11.80.  Also won class at this event too. 

Last weekend we ran at the Pennsylvania NHRA Dutch Classic.  On this second outing the car ran two 10.64s at 124 mph.  We are within eight hundredths of the NHRA national record in D/Stock (10.56).  Our goal for next year is to set the NHRA national record in D/Stock.  Could not have asked for better results so soon and looks like our 2 1/2 years of building this car paid off!

Sam, thanks for keeping the car so clean in between rounds last weekend!

Jerry

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
Re: Racing At The NHRA Dutch Classic
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 11:18:39 AM »
Congrats Jerry!
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

opelitis1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 12:20:48 PM »
BigGG Time congrats.  I don't suppose you'd let us in on your engine setup?  Weather is perfect for gettin' her down the track...  WOW man, you gotta be happy...
Ted.

JoeC

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 03:46:37 PM »
Congratulations are definitely in order and good luck on setting the new record.

looking forward to see the updated pictures

x77-69z28

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 04:13:03 PM »
it must be the grille!!!! congrats jerry. let me know when you will be in new york, the 67 is ready to get done.
buddy
69 Z/28 X77 burnished brown, 711 int 05A bought in 78
70 Z28 forrest green, green int, M40, bk vinyl roof PROJECT
99 SS hugger orange 6spd NO TTOPS bought new 1 of 54
15 z/28 Arctic white, A/C 505 HP #251

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 01:28:19 PM »
Building these 302s is something of a learning curve that goes on and on.  Have been doing these since the early 1970s and have learned so much.  Many of you know about Gary Sommer's 69 Z28.  We did the engine in that car and set up the carb and dist.  That car will run in the mid 13s all day long granny shifting the gears.  It's all in knowing what to do and when to do it.

Gary's car is pictured in my new 4th edition Camaro book.   

Another 302 that I built for Mike Williams made 375 peak hp on the dyno.........and that was with a stock cam and no head work.  This car will also run well on the street.

Jerry

RAfbody

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 03:16:34 PM »
I can't wait to see your car and Ben's car paired off.  That would be a joy to watch.
Russ

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 11:26:12 PM »
Please post when and where you will be running.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

3Zs

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 11:33:17 AM »
I believe Jerry is in Las Vegas this weekend.  It is probably too hot there for a new D/Stock National Record, but we will keep our fingers crossed.

CNorton

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 12:19:02 PM »
Jerry may actually be in Las Vegas this weekend but Stock Eliminator is not being contested as a part of the national event there.  Neither is he on the pre-entry list for the final national event of the season in Pomona in two weeks.  Of course, national records are not set at national events but it is possible that he is bringing the car to the final divisional race of the season in Las Vegas on the weekend between the national events with the intent of setting a record.  As we say in the sport, that's a long drive for a piece of paper, especially since there will be a prime opportunity to set the record on the east coast in the mineshaft conditions prevailing there in the spring.  Records set at altitude tracks are substantially disregarded by eastern racers anyway.  There is no pre-entry list for divisional races so we won't know until the qualifying lists appear. 

SEMA is conducting it's annual trade show in Las Vegas between Tuesday and Friday next week and that event typically attracts gearheads from near and far. 

sam

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2008, 12:43:14 AM »
Jerry, It is ALWAYS my pleasure to help out at the NHRA events.  I enjoy the bench racing and always the little tips I can pick up hanging around your trailer. See you in the Spring. The air will be good to set that D/Stick record! Thanks for keeping the little 302 on the map for us! The car is killer.  Sam

opelitis1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2008, 12:06:57 PM »
Just took a gander at some of your "teardown" pics, are 291s a better flowing head than the 462 or 186s?? Would the cam being a shade "down" on the lobes they checked, be of any concern??? 
T.

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2008, 02:42:39 AM »
You find the best heads and flow bench test as many as you can find.  And then pick the best flowing set to use on your engine.  That's it.  I have many 291s and I'm a stickler for having dated correct parts on the engine.

Jerry

hotrod68

• almost finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2008, 04:58:57 AM »
Congrats, Jerry!
HotRod'68  1968 SS350 coupe undergoing frame-off resto/rod. 386/350/4.11s
Butternut Yellow    black standard interior

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2008, 01:23:41 PM »
Mike Williams, one of my pit crew guys took some video of the car at the Dutch on some 10.60's passes.  Will have to figure out how to down load them and maybe post on u-tube.......or a llink to this site.

Jerry

anything