Author Topic: barrett jackson las vegas Z-28  (Read 216327 times)

samanatoo

• 69 Z28 Hugger Orange/Orange Houndstooth
    • View Profile
Re: barrett jackson las vegas Z-28
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2008, 03:01:25 PM »
After reading and reading new and new threads, which I knew was going to happen. I think you hit the nail right on the head with that statement!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I bet they never told Jerry about the WHOLE truth.   

Classicgary

« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2008, 03:59:54 PM »
[edited per request]
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 05:44:02 PM by KurtS »

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2008, 04:51:09 PM »
Gary, Yes you are going to get flak for revealing what has been done, but it can not be undone. For whatever my opinion is worth, disclosing what has been done is the right thing to do. Everyone knows collector cars include need to be researched very carefully. This unfortunately has become a buyer beware industry, with fraud and deceit turning huge profits for those who without ethics.

CRG, thank you for all the information you share so freely. Please consider offering one more thing, a list of known deceased & questionable vins. In my opinion this would only improve the hobby.

Tom
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2008, 05:47:09 PM »
all i know is what the rest of the world knows.that the car is as real as it gets according to the bj show.

And Barrett Jackson is the know all - end all of Camaro's ? Um, no.
and I know it's a rebody, unless they followed me and "dug it up"(many years ago). B/J could only report what was told them by the seller. Hell, even the seller might not have known, I'm thinking he got it from someone else (as an unfinished project) anyway. This VIN is no secret. I was here years ago talking about this car. And with only a little checking anybody could have learned the numbers were "questionable". So, my opinion, (of course those are like belly buttons), (everyone has one), the buyer was not told everything, the auctionier, didn't know everything, the seller MIGHT not have known everthing. (But, if he (the restorer) really is as good as he is supposed to be at restoring cars, I think he should have seen the replaced/missing numbers and maybe got curious and did some checking). As far as Jerry's role (I don't think he needs me to defend him, but), he was probably told only as much as needed, by someone that didn't know everything anyway.
I don't remember the name of the guy I sold the numbers too, but I do remember he had a ralley green ralley sport camaro.
(edit) I should say, he TOLD me he had a ralley green RS camaro.

The MOST likely possibility is that the buyer of your documentation/id/vin/etc... MERGED your information with HIS RS Camaro, and it is now the car that was sold.   The *only feasible* means of doing this is to transfer the VIN plate, hidden VIN's etc to the other body, and do it in a 'mostly invisible' way.     I'm curious...  WHAT did you think someone was going to do with the VIN/documentation you sold??   hang it on a wall as a decoration????
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2008, 06:13:32 PM »
To follow all this up, and in your defense.  I helped a friend remove a '57 BelAir Convertible from the woods once.   It had leaves, soil, tree parts, etc.. up to the beltline.  The floor was totally gone.   The frame was rotted away except for the (thicker metal) X member.   The roof bows were there, as well as the stainless around the windshield...   My friend got the car for free to haul it away.    He sold the thing (as is) for $2k...  a few weeks later, that buyer sold the car for 15K...  I'm sure NOW the car is a *restored 100K+ '57 Convertible (black with red interior).   I am certain that at least half of the 'Restored '57 Chevy convertibles came from similar backgrounds.   The standard method of *restoring* such a car is to find a decent 2-dr HT car, and *convert* it to a convertible using the special convertible parts.    Lots of them are also done using 4-dr sedans which are cheaper and usually in better condition....   Is this wrong?   I don't know.   but I do know it is WRONG to misrepresent something you are selling for greater financial gain.   It would seem that is what the owner/restorer did in this case...  I doubt after the hulabaloo which will result, that BJ will *rerun* this particular part of that auction!
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

Classicgary

« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2008, 08:03:47 PM »
[edited per request]
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 05:44:37 PM by KurtS »

L78 steve

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2008, 08:17:34 PM »
Too late,The only legal way would have been to include the body with the paper and tags .The outcome would have most likely been the same but someone else would be responsible for this mess .
69 Z/28 Dover White. SOLD
67 SS/RS Mt. Green 1W,2LGSR,3SL,4K,5BY,07C. SOLD
70 Nova L78 Blk. Cherry,Sandalwood,M21,02B

Classicgary

« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2008, 08:33:09 PM »
[edited per request]
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 05:45:15 PM by KurtS »

cjm465

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2008, 08:48:39 PM »

i was mistaken, this needs to go away..................
how do i edit my posts ?

try..."No hablo ingles'" when the phone rings

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2008, 09:09:05 PM »
Edit your posts ?  Was it your car or not ? You were mistaken ? You made a very serious charge by stating you buried the orig body. Did you or didn't you ? If you were mistaken and trashed trashed the Barrett-Jackson car by accident you should explain it so the trashing can stop.

200mph

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2008, 09:11:18 PM »
Classicgary's entire story, from the original post on, is a fabrication.  
This is a real car.  
Barrett-Jackson, Speed Channel and both the seller/restorer and buyer of the car at auction are all aware of this little charade, so please don't perpetuate it or give Classicgary's story any credibility.  Perhaps he'll choose to explain, maybe not.
He did once own the car in question.  That's about all that's true.  

Gramps69Z

• 69 X33 D80
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2008, 10:30:07 PM »
What about the paper work, POP, keys, hidden VIN's and all the outer stuff that now belongs to TWO cars.
 If it's all legit, why worry?
Captain John Wykoff
Destin Fire:   October 31, 2015 at 0700--Officially Retired

samanatoo

• 69 Z28 Hugger Orange/Orange Houndstooth
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2008, 11:13:31 PM »
If you were mistaken and this is all a joke, then I hope you were smart enough to not list your real phone number in a earlier post!  I knew this was going to get good or should I say BAD.

200mph

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2008, 11:26:53 PM »
What about the paper work, POP, keys, hidden VIN's and all the outer stuff that now belongs to TWO cars.
 If it's all legit, why worry?

Because it's all a fiction, and the reputations of hard-working, honest people are at stake.
Kent Waters Originals restored and sold this original Z/28 with a very rare combination of features, and it is extensively documented.  Waters, Speed TV, Barrett-Jackson, the buyer AND Classicgary all agree that this is the original, real car.

jl8dale

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2008, 11:42:00 PM »
It sounds like somebody was threatened with a lawsuit here....or worse. I can't imagine why anyone would make up a story like this. I suppose if the new owner is following this thread, it might make sense for him to pull the cowl panel and look for evidence of a piece being welded in by the hidden VIN.
There's two sides to every story, but that would put an end to this thread.
1969 Z/28 Daytona Yellow/Yellow Houndstooth, Tilt, Fold Down Seat, - POP