Author Topic: barrett jackson las vegas Z-28  (Read 216318 times)

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
Re: barrett jackson las vegas Z-28
« Reply #165 on: October 31, 2008, 03:14:27 PM »
The trim tag and vin number tag and paperwork is real.  I flagged the drive train as a restoration drive train in the report on the car.  I am not at liberty to post reports to the public or on a public forum.  This car was also judged at the Camaro Nationals this past summer in the "Bow Tie" class and scored a silver.  Car was nicely done but there were a lot of little things.  I can't believe that someone paid that much for the car with a resto drive train.  The X-ram and carbs were real though.  

Jerry  

Your comment 'I can't believe that someone paid that much for the car with a resto drive train. ' is interesting now that we can see you evaluated the car value earlier this year as 'between $100,000 to 120,000' ?  $125,000 is not a great deal more, and if the person buying it really liked it??   and Yes, the market is down but...      What valuation would you put on the car now, given the current 'market'??
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

Hylton

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 31, 2008, 03:21:57 PM »
Here's my 2 cents.....

1.Jerry - your practice of writing up a preliminary report to allow owners to correct their cars before a final one is a wonderful gesture because it saves people from having to spend money twice. Unfortunately, it opens up the possibly of mis-interpretation as to the actual state of a car if the final report is not used to convey the cars true state. Perhaps in the future, you can consider something as indentified below so that preliminary reports cannot be used in an incorrect way. It would have saved you from all this crap.

Wrong stamps on all three pieces.  Aspect ratio is incorrect r everything.  1's were not used on Sept 68 engine stamings, I's were.  Numbers are all over the place. 

Jerry

2. Perhaps you can actually state more definitive comments as above in final reports so that perspective buyers would be better educated as to the true state of a car.

3. Finally, your reports do not regularily state anything as to the issue of re-body. Stating a trim tag is authentic is not sufficient proof that a car is authentic. You should also consider stating in your report that a car has had it's trim tag removed in the past or not. I know you can determine this without difficulty. Sure some have been removed for legitimate restoration purposes but I would think that you would hold that information as of great importance.

I hope you keep doing what you are doing because you have made an impact to the 1st gen Camaro world. Please just consider updating your process a bit to reflect the current reality of the hobby.
It's impossible to have a valid certificate of authenticity without verifying that it is not a rebody.

fireZ

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 31, 2008, 03:47:41 PM »
Yes Jerry you have helped so many of us on this site  with these first gen cars,it is appreciated believe me. Thanks
1968 Z28 LA Built
LIC # RPO Z28

GaryL

• Marilyn and me
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 31, 2008, 04:21:16 PM »
Yes Jerry you have helped so many of us on this site  with these first gen cars,it is appreciated believe me. Thanks

X2.
Gary

Lemans Blue X33. DZ, M20, manual steering. Only BU code rear end is original.

69 Z11

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 31, 2008, 05:49:00 PM »
X3

Jerry's got a tough job.  He's walking a fine line trying to make a living but some of his customers don't really want to hear the truth.
69 Z11
97 30th SS
Huggers at the Car Show

sd1968z28

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 31, 2008, 08:49:42 PM »
jerry has been invaluable to me he helped me reunite my car with its original engine.  with that said he is just a man and these are cars put together by men and women i presume so there are bound to be iregularities in the process of verifing a car.  much like a home inspector you could hire two different ones and get two completely different opinions. so lets just give the guy a break, he told me what was wrong with my car i fixed some of them others i knew to be original so i left it.  as for the price i thought it was fair, and like i said he helped me when i never even deamed of finding the engine.

69LM1

• View Profile
    • http://www.69lm1.com
« Reply #171 on: October 31, 2008, 09:58:16 PM »
X3

Jerry's got a tough job.  He's walking a fine line trying to make a living but some of his customers don't really want to hear the truth.

X4
Rich Pern
2012 Mustang Boss 302
69 COPO Camaro "Tin Soldier"
70 Z28 COPO
69 Camaro 307. Orig car from High School

fordrocks

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 02, 2008, 03:43:43 AM »
Sorry, but the 2 report thing smells bad.
If KW needed something to finish his car for Carlisle - the list from page 2 would have been all he needed.

Anyone ever sell a car and write up two bill of sales?  >:(

I must say this quote makes a lot of sense to me.
How do we know who is telling the truth? That second report with the “restoration drive train” sentence added could have been revised two days ago! The first report that is supposed to be the draft without the “restoration drive train sentence” is on the guy’s website! And KW and JM both have that copy!
As far as I see it, the \"draft” report without the sentence “restoration drive train” IS THE ORIGINAL!
If this went to a court and KW has only the copy without “restoration drivetrain”and JM had two versions to himself? That would not look good if I were the judge. I think I would have to believe KW.

Don’t kill me for saying what I feel but. I’m sure a few more has thought the same thing i did.

fordrocks

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 02, 2008, 03:49:50 AM »
its like this;
if i left an auto shop with my white copy of a work order that says tune up $100 and lets say JM was my mechanic and his copy was just like mine except it had on the bottom \"additional full rebuild\"$1000 that was not on my copy.
what would a judge think? i think a judge would beleive my copy for $100!
this is the exact reason you dont leave a shop without taking your copy first! so the shop cant add extra items on it!

fordrocks

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 02, 2008, 03:58:37 AM »
somebody ,JerryM please prove me wrong with your side of the story!Some reason i know your not to blame for this and im sure there is a logical explanation to this.

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 02, 2008, 05:41:38 AM »
Fordrocks, why do you continue to pick at this scab? I'm always curious when newbies sign up and the first words spewed out of their mouths are crap like:

wait,let me get this straight!you say the paperwork and vin is real.but it came from another body that has been long gone!this to me sounds illegal.how can this be certified by some self proclaimed guru?its not a restoration drivetrain.its a illegal transfer of vin!i didnt hear anything about this on tv!

I'm also amused to find that these people never post their real names, never have an email address and never seem to know jack $h!t about these cars, the Camaro community or the people that frequent the community.

In addition, they always seem to select user names that will stir up the pot, and continue to post meaningless questions long after the facts have been presented.

You my friend, are very close to being ejected on the SYC site, and it's not surprising why. I would imagine that Dennis has also had enough of your BS over on the TC site, so you might want to tread lightly over there as well.

Jerry and others have already posted more than enough information for anyone with half a brain to figure out the car's a F-A-K-E, yet you and a few other newbies seem to believe that Jerry is lying and the VIN, Trim Tag, Cowl Vin and other parts that were PHYSICALLY removed for the ORIGINAL car, have somehow miraculously reattached themselves again.

I'd really like to know what your involvement in this particular car is, because it has to be something or you wouldn't be defending it so much. Are you the seller? Are you the buyer? Are you the scumbag that welded the parts together to create this piece of $h!t? Exactly how do you fit into the conspiricy that continues to try and keep this thread alive??

Jerry has answered the question, period. He has no other information on the car that will apease you or your cronies, and in all honesty, he has nothing to prove. He's been doing this for many, MANY years, and his name and reputation are highly respected world wide. And, although I don't speak for Jerry, I would imagine he'll probably not post again. There's no reason to.

If YOU want to believe the car is real, be my guest. I have no control over other peoples misguided beliefs, nor do I have the desire to argue the point. My mother always told me "Never argue with an idiot", so I won't.

This thread is done and the car has been proven to be a fake. I'll no longer read any posts on this site, the SYC site or the TC site regarding this car, so feel free to call me any name in the book you would like. I won't see it.

Ed Bertrand
Camaro Research Group

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #176 on: November 02, 2008, 12:28:40 PM »
BRAVO ED !!!
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

DougD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 02, 2008, 01:39:40 PM »
Sorry, but the 2 report thing smells bad.
If KW needed something to finish his car for Carlisle - the list from page 2 would have been all he needed.

Anyone ever sell a car and write up two bill of sales?  >:(

I must say this quote makes a lot of sense to me.
How do we know who is telling the truth? That second report with the “restoration drive train” sentence added could have been revised two days ago! The first report that is supposed to be the draft without the “restoration drive train sentence” is on the guy’s website! And KW and JM both have that copy!
As far as I see it, the \"draft” report without the sentence “restoration drive train” IS THE ORIGINAL!
If this went to a court and KW has only the copy without “restoration drivetrain”and JM had two versions to himself? That would not look good if I were the judge. I think I would have to believe KW.

Don’t kill me for saying what I feel but. I’m sure a few more has thought the same thing i did.

Jerry can't place himself in a position of issuing a falsified report two days ago and be able to maintain his credentials and license as an appraiser.  It would be an incredibly simple thing for that to be lost.

As Ed said, I think you are here strictly to involve yourself in something you have no personal business associated with, and merely wish to stir things up repeatedly.

Try doing something new and novel - THINK before placing fingers on the keyboard to type your next post.  As yourself "Does what I'm typing make the slightest bit of sense in this matter?  Does my input even matter?  Have I actually given thought to the full ramifications of my soon to be incessant rambling?"

I'd bet when you HONESTLY answer those questions, you won't click that "Post" button.

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #178 on: November 02, 2008, 02:01:14 PM »
When a wise man and a fool argue onlookers can rarely determine the difference...
It's a derivative of a verse from Proverbs...
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

Pacecarjeff

• View Profile
    • pacecarjeff.com
« Reply #179 on: November 02, 2008, 02:25:19 PM »
I think you all have this guy wrong.
He just wants to know if KW ever actually received the "official report".

And that is not for us to speculate about at this point.
The legal system is going to sort this one out - and I am sure this car is going to turn up again.

The car is absolutely amazing - still a very valuable car- no mater what it "was".
Just the quality of the restoration, and the value of the parts is quite extensive.

With those new Dynacorn replacement body shells - this stuff is going to come up a lot in the future.