Go to full version

Camaro Research Group Discussion > Originality

Standard Steel Wheel Color

(1/3) > >>

SS375HP:
We have a 68 SS that has original factory full hubcaps. I know that standard steel wheels with "dog dish" hubcaps had the wheels painted body color. Were the steel wheels also painted body color with the full hubcaps?

1968RSZ28:

--- Quote from: SS375HP on October 17, 2008, 02:47:51 AM ---We have a 68 SS that has original factory full hubcaps. I know that standard steel wheels with "dog dish" hubcaps had the wheels painted body color. Were the steel wheels also painted body color with the full hubcaps?

--- End quote ---

From CRG...

"Wheels were painted black if full disc style hubcaps were ordered on the car.  If the smaller 'dogdish' style hubcaps were installed, the wheels were painted body color."

Paul

trainz11:
Were the wheels that were painted the color of the car painted with lacquer or enamel? Were the black wheels painted at the assembly plant, or were they shipped in already painted black?

JohnZ:
All wheels were received in oiled raw steel, by the thousands, in rail cars. They were cleaned, phosphated, dip-primed black, baked, then the outer face of the wheel was sprayed with either black or body-color wheel enamel and baked again.

My68SS:
Ah-ha, so it is a baked enamel and I guess the Argent on the rally rims is the same?
I'm cleaning up some rims and finding the paint very tough to shift chemically, paint stripper doesn't do anything!

Was the Argent a satin/semi-gloss finish?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page