Author Topic: 3-Spd Shifter Hole in the Wrong Place?  (Read 5506 times)

ibrockn

• View Profile
3-Spd Shifter Hole in the Wrong Place?
« on: February 20, 2006, 11:59:18 PM »
I just purchased a '68 6-cyl car that has had the column shifter relocated to the floor.
It seems to me that the hole is not in the correct location (too close to my leg).
Please see my attached photo.
Does anyone have any advice?
Thank you.

Ed Ernst

• View Profile
Re: 3-Spd Shifter Hole in the Wrong Place?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2006, 04:37:20 PM »
You are correct that the shifter/hole  is not in the factory installed location.  What type of advice are you seeking?
1967 SS/RS convertible - LA 12A built

ibrockn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2006, 01:16:09 PM »
If I decide to leave the shifter in the floor, how do I find out the proper location and dimesions of the cutout? Otherwise, if I put it back on the column, I will need to locate a column lever bracket as the original was discarded before me.

Ed Ernst

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2006, 07:07:58 PM »
Finding the on-the-column shift handle and associated linkages might be tough (assuming the car didn't come with).  I looked through some of my reference stuff and couldn't really find a cut out/location dimension.  The factory shifter hole was a stamped cut out made at the Fisher body plant.  If you look in the '67 assembly manual at the D55 console option, it shows the cut out in relation to the console mounting points. There are location dimples in the trans tunnel for the line workers to drill for the console mounting bolts and you could use that as a rough guide.  Perhaps a CRG'er more knowledgeable on '67's can expound on this a bit more.
1967 SS/RS convertible - LA 12A built

anything