Author Topic: 1969 standard (non-RS) grill trim  (Read 17259 times)

hgger69

• Hugger orange rules!
    • View Profile
    • Håkans Motorsida
Re: 1969 standard (non-RS) grill trim
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2009, 07:51:41 PM »
Very nice ride Hakan!
It's refreshing to see one with steel wheels, body color paint and dog dish caps.
Too many rally wheels and SS mags floating around for my taste. I'm an "old timer" who remembers that "back in the day" most of the Camaros came with wheel covers or hub caps.

Al

Thanx Al, I´m glad to hear that and it´s exactly my point too!
I´ve been there with my 18" bling bling wheels but I think theese look much better. I get a lot more response from people with theese wheels set as well. I think this old school COPO-look attracts the eye more! I don´t want toto have a car that looks like all other 69:ers! :)
Regards,
Hakan from Sweden
1969 Camaro X44, hugger orange, 427 ZL-1 tribute, TH350, 4:10 12 bolt Posi, RPO Z87, black/white houndstooth, 14" steel wheels & dog dish, 02D built
www.hakansmotorsida.com

BlackoutSteve

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2009, 08:53:53 PM »
Love the dog-dishes.. I have rallies (who hasn't) and the dog-dishes are a refreshing change.
Not only an original wheel and cap, but after all the >20" bling of late, and original look again too.
Restoring my RHD 69 Jane in Melbourne, Australia.
http://www.usmuscle.com.au/Forum/showthread.php?t=2840

BlackoutSteve

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2009, 07:32:55 AM »
All non-RS grilles arrived at the plant with the bright surround molding already installed; the plant masked off the molding and the portion of the grille inboard of the molding and painted the outer portion body color.

Another question regarding this.. Was the body color around the grill also a full gloss using exactly the same body paint? ..or did it have flattener in it for a satin finish?
Thanks.

hgger69

• Hugger orange rules!
    • View Profile
    • Håkans Motorsida
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2009, 07:53:07 AM »
All non-RS grilles arrived at the plant with the bright surround molding already installed; the plant masked off the molding and the portion of the grille inboard of the molding and painted the outer portion body color.

Another question regarding this.. Was the body color around the grill also a full gloss using exactly the same body paint? ..or did it have flattener in it for a satin finish?
Thanks.

My were painted full gloss like the rest of the car and I doubt it would be different from the factory?! I think it would look strange with it in satin!
Regards,
Hakan from Sweden
1969 Camaro X44, hugger orange, 427 ZL-1 tribute, TH350, 4:10 12 bolt Posi, RPO Z87, black/white houndstooth, 14" steel wheels & dog dish, 02D built
www.hakansmotorsida.com

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2009, 02:18:40 PM »

Thanks.

The body color on the grille surround was full gloss, but it wasn't the same paint used on the sheet metal - the grille was painted separately in a low-bake (150*F) paint system with a low-temp bake lacquer formulation, as the plastic grille wouldn't survive the 325*F oven temperatures used for the front sheet metal.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

BlackoutSteve

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2009, 10:21:04 PM »
Wow, I didn't know baking was done as high as 325°F..

Full gloss.  ;) Thanks.

l88z16

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2009, 08:57:39 PM »
What color was the plastic on an assembly line 69 (non-RS)grill before it was painted silver???

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2009, 02:39:53 PM »
What color was the plastic on an assembly line 69 (non-RS)grill before it was painted silver???

It was molded from light gray plastic.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

l88z16

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2009, 08:50:37 PM »
Thanks John.Would it have a part #on it????I am trying to find out the difference between the repos,the later over the counter GM,and assembly line installed ones.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2009, 02:34:22 PM »
Thanks John.Would it have a part #on it????I am trying to find out the difference between the repos,the later over the counter GM,and assembly line installed ones.

I'm sure there's a part number molded somewhere on the back side, but mine's original, has never been out of the car, and I'm not going to remove it. I'm pretty sure the later service part and the reproduction all came out of the same GM mold - it would be incredibly costly to duplicate that huge injection mold just for reproduction parts volume.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

l88z16

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2009, 04:23:52 PM »
Thanks John.I have a gray one and a tan colored one.I did not see a part # on either one.