Author Topic: Messed with perfection!  (Read 6739 times)

L30M20

• View Profile
Messed with perfection!
« on: September 28, 2008, 05:05:15 PM »
my L30m20 has always started, I upgraded my points to a electronic converter. Camaro started fine, I then wanted to upgrade my plug wires from 7mm to proformance,I bought a set and half way thru placement I realized they were wrong,I had to retrack with the old wires and I messed them up. The camaro started and ran and began to back fire and lose power. I have checked and tryed all combinations for the plug wires, nothing has worked I have reverted to the orginal points,plug wires etc and it still does not start, motor turns but will not fire! Any ideas, thanks!

Steve68

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Messed with perfection!
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 05:34:36 PM »
Did you remove the distributor during the initial "upgrade" to the electronic system or when you went back to the points set-up?

L30M20

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 10:34:08 PM »
I did not remove/move the distributer just the cap.

Steve68

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 12:07:11 AM »
Are you getting spark at the plugs?

Tinkerr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 01:05:16 AM »
You need to look at the simple things. dist. wire on the neg. side of the coil? seen it reversed. condenser wire grounded or bad condenser? power at the positive side of the coil. is it possible you have the firing order correct but going counterclockwise? should be clockwise rotation 18436572 make sure the rotor is lining up at #1 on the cap.

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 11:22:20 AM »
could you have put the distriutor out by 180 degrees? It's easy to do do, I've done it before.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 03:06:27 PM »
You probably disturbed the wire indexing in the cap and got it out of sequence (you said you didn't remove the distributor itself); the photo below shows the correct firing order, wire indexing in the cap, and distributor orientation.

'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

L30M20

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2008, 05:21:31 AM »
 ??? I wanted to thank you guys for the help. My baby still hasn't started. I'm trying the suggestions. I'm not to technical when it comes to timing,dwel etc, I'm more of a body man. To think the L30M20 has been running since my mother bought the car in 68. I don't have money but I have time! Well I'll keep working with my baby and let you know.