Author Topic: Found my 1969 Z28 partial Vin using trick methodrecommended by older post on CRG  (Read 4458 times)

samanatoo

• 69 Z28 Hugger Orange/Orange Houndstooth
    • View Profile
I  was reading an older post a few weeks ago on how to use a bright colored crayon  and  rub the area by the oil filter with it then scrub lightly and remove the excess crayon to reveal the partial vin.  It worked great!    I cleaned the area with acetone first a few times to remove all paint and was still not able to see anything. Then I tried this method.  The first attemp with the crayon exposed a N and a 2.  Then I worked the crayon on the area agiain where I saw the numbers and put it on very heavy then took my time with a new tooth brush and was able to make out 1 9 N and 5 out of the 6 numbers of the vin sequential number.  The motor is in the car and I was told it would be impossible to see the numbers with out the motor out of the car. i would recommend this method to anyone who has not been able to read there partial vin on late 1969 cars. 

Also this helps prove that a March 29th build DZ 302 can be original to a early August build car.  My car is a 08C car and could have been built during the second or third week since 08B was skipped.   I also talked witha few people who suggested that because productionwas not extended yet dealers were not getting many orders for Z28's with expectation of thge new 1970 Z28.

a694me

• View Profile
Don't you mean May instead of March?

samanatoo

• 69 Z28 Hugger Orange/Orange Houndstooth
    • View Profile
Yes I meant my engine is a May 29 date,   NOT March 29th,  sorry too many dates to remember.