Author Topic: Right hand mirror  (Read 9181 times)

ccargo

• View Profile
Right hand mirror
« on: September 24, 2008, 03:42:21 PM »
What's the scoop on the first generation right hand exterior mirror application? I've seen several and have had a few on my cars as well but running through the factory RPO list they were only available as Dealer ad's. I see most of them on 69's and was wondering if many were added due to Fed regulations? I remember it being an issue from my youth where my parents had to add one to stay legal on their older cars.
67 O-1 O4A L35 Convertible, Indy Zone IPC

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Right hand mirror
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 08:14:56 PM »
There was never a right-side mirror from the factory on any '67-'69, but the dealer could install one (accessory item from the parts counter). There was never any Federal regulation that required adding a right-side mirror to cars that were built before the regulation took effect.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 08:40:59 PM »
And Federal Motor Safety Standards still do not require a passenger's side mirror if  the vehicle meets certain requirements:

S5.1.1  Field of view. Except as provided in S5.3, the mirror shall provide a field of view with an included horizontal angle measured from the projected eye point of at least 20 degrees, and a sufficient vertical angle to provide a view of a level road surface extending to the horizon beginning at a point not greater than 61 m to the rear of the vehicle when the vehicle is occupied by the driver and four passengers or the designated occupant capacity, if less, based on an average occupant weight of 68 kg. The line of sight may be partially obscured by seated occupants or by head restraints. The location of the driver's eye reference points shall be those established in Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 104 (§571.104) or a nominal location appropriate for any 95th percentile male driver.

S5.3  Outside rearview mirror passenger's side. Each passenger car whose inside rearview mirror does not meet the field of view requirements of S5.1.1 shall have an outside mirror of unit magnification or a convex mirror installed on the passenger's side. The mirror mounting shall provide a stable support and be free of sharp points or edges that could contribute to pedestrian injury. The mirror need not be adjustable from the driver's seat but shall be capable of adjustment by tilting in both horizontal and vertical directions.

I think this section of the law went into effect in 1-1-68, which may explain your question and may explain why pasenger mirrors became so common place.  BTW, that section of laws also got rid on any sharp objects or surfaces on the exterior.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 08:57:14 PM by lakeholme »
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 04:44:38 AM »
I've got an 83 Rabbit that only has a driver mirror.
68Z28

ccargo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 12:42:07 PM »
So this must be why they went from an 8" to a 10" rearview in 69.
67 O-1 O4A L35 Convertible, Indy Zone IPC

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 04:03:47 PM »
That's what I would guess.

Some present day window tinting web sites give an explanation in more "plain English" than all that legalese.  There are some states that do insist on the passenger mirror if the rear window tinting is dark, or by federal law if the window is obstructed then the passenger mirror is required.
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 03:57:54 AM »
Every 1969 Camaro that I inspect seems to have one of these mirrors.  Have no clue why some people install them on nice pedigree cars.

jerry

camaromikey

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2008, 06:27:40 PM »
question: my 69 camaro has on the passenger door holes for a mirror and in the holes there are threads just like on the driver side just without the large hole for the cable for the adjustable mirror. so would it have come from the factory like that or was it dealer installed too

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2008, 07:42:41 PM »
question: my 69 camaro has on the passenger door holes for a mirror and in the holes there are threads just like on the driver side just without the large hole for the cable for the adjustable mirror. so would it have come from the factory like that or was it dealer installed too

Dealer-installed; no '69 Camaro left the factory with a right-side mirror.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

sdkar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 01:31:53 AM »
I was looking at my 69 Camaro Pace car that had the passenger mirror added.  I am the second owner and the mirror was installed by the dealer.  I noticed that the passenger dealer installed mirror is mounted farther back than the driver side on my car.  Was there a guideline or specific location recommended to the dealers when they installed these mirrors?  Or was it just whereever the mechanic felt like putting it? 

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 02:50:07 PM »
I was looking at my 69 Camaro Pace car that had the passenger mirror added.  I am the second owner and the mirror was installed by the dealer.  I noticed that the passenger dealer installed mirror is mounted farther back than the driver side on my car.  Was there a guideline or specific location recommended to the dealers when they installed these mirrors?  Or was it just whereever the mechanic felt like putting it? 

The accessory mirror package usually contained a template for mounting the mirror; on 67's, if the mirror was mounted the same distance back from the front of the door as the one on the driver's door (for symmetry side-to-side), it was useless due to being blocked in the driver's field of view by the vent window and frame.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

anything