Author Topic: 1967 Washer Pump  (Read 8838 times)

erik67ssrs

• View Profile
1967 Washer Pump
« on: February 21, 2006, 04:09:46 AM »
I am in the process of restoring my 1967 Camaro SS/RS and need help with the washer pump.  Apparently, the 67 used a different washer pump than the 68-69.  All of the replacements I find online are modeled after the 68-69, which won't fit a 67 wiper motor (besides the fact that it would be the wrong pump for the year).  Any thoughts on where to find one or where to get it rebuilt?

allthatnchips2

• View Profile
Re: 1967 Washer Pump
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 12:45:47 AM »
I have the same problem right now.

Anyone?

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 03:07:39 AM »
There was a change from 67 to 68 in the washer pump.  The cover for 67 and 68 should look the same (which may explain why vendors offer one replacement).  But the 67 used a straight hose valve assembly and the 68 used a 90 degree angle valve assembly.  (Somewhere in all these posts that valve assembly question has come up before...)
As to where you might find one: if you're looking in the junkyard, also look for an early Corvair (60-62) both 67 Camaro and those Corvairs used the same straight hose pipes valve assembly. Not sure if the Corvair 2 speed motor is the same... probably not.  But what you need is that straight hose valve assembly for 67.
You'll have to get Ed's attention with his P&A for part numbers.
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006, 04:22:30 AM »
Well... The P&A is no good on this one since mine only shows the 69 Camaro for the "Pump Assembly" (No 67 or 68 Camaro listed). However, all is not lost becuase it DOES show the "Valve Assembly (Straight Hose Pipe)" as P/N 4914356. This was used on the 60-62 Corvair, 67 Camaro and 69 Chevelle.

You should be able to get a Corvair unit fairly cheap since the Corvair guys are known tightwads (myself included, since I now own a 69 MONZA CONVERTIBLE)!!

If you need some contact info for used Corvair parts houses, let me know...

Ed

deejaygee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006, 05:27:24 AM »
Transcript of a message I wrote to someone on eBay called Joe who sold me an alleged 67 wiper motor and pump assembly. This includes very nice pictures and description of what to look for:

Joe:

Here is a copy of a page from the 1967 Camaro Factory Assembly Instruction Manual. This page shows the W/S wiper motor and pump assembly. The PN is shown in the top part of the photo, PN 5045508 for the MOTOR & PUMP ASM.

Following picture is a side-by-side comparison of the eBay assembly compared to an original assembly out of a 1967 Camaro. Note that the part # shown above in the factory assembly manual is stamped on the original assembly's motor cover, 5045508. Although the eBay motor cover seems to have the same overall dimensions, it doesn't have a part number.

Also apparent is the different washer pump assemblies. The eBay washer pump cover is block-shaped and doesn't have the unique and distinctuve 1967 "bump" which is clear in the photo of the original unit, and in the factory assembly manual above.

Here is a second picture of the two assemblies, side by side. Not only is the eBay pump cover a different shape, but the entire washer pump (underneath the cover) is different. Notice the difference in where the electrical prongs exit the cover.

Here, in the third side-by-side photo taken from the firewall side, you can see the different mounting plate shapes. The eBay assembly is on the left and the original assembly on the right.

RickH

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2006, 04:56:48 PM »
Here is a picture of my original washer pump on my 1967 Camaro RS. This is original to my car. Note the date stamp on the wiper motor. Second pictures shows correct part number.

Also I want to point out that this style washer pump was also found on some early made 1968 Camaros.

Rick H.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 05:09:49 PM by RickH »

allthatnchips2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2007, 03:28:24 PM »
Has anyone found a source for this part?  I only need the pump pictured in the top picture of the above post. (thanks rick)