Author Topic: Source for 1968 underhood finishes  (Read 7515 times)

Stewie

• View Profile
Source for 1968 underhood finishes
« on: June 03, 2007, 01:17:19 PM »
Hi guys, I haven't been around for a couple of years since I sold my 69 Z.  I currently own a 68 Coupe that is going to be a cruise night car.  The previous owner has squirted copious amount of gloss black under the hood..
I am in the process of detailing under the hood, but I have no references for the 68 Camaro.  I am looking for an online source that will give me the finishes on, inner fenders, rad support, hood hinges, hood latches, heater box, firewall and sub frame.  I don't plan on pulling the engine or taking it completely apart.   
The end result will be a mild modified engine compartment with some stock looking details. 
Any help would be appreciated.   The booster and MC are new so I don't need those.
Thanks for any help
Oh yea don't let the newbie status fool you I have been around this forum for years, just not lately!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 01:21:27 PM by Stewie »

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Source for 1968 underhood finishes
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 01:40:42 PM »
Really nothing available on the Internet.  I do have an appendix in my '69 Camaro fact book that covers a lot of these finishes for all three years.  Go to my web site for details.  www.z28camaro.com.

Jerry

Stewie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 04:43:35 PM »
Maybe some of the more knowledgeable people around here could give me a rought idea what they should be.  I know I had them in my 69 book by Hooper, but I gave it with my Z when I sold it because there were two pictures of my car in the book.
I am planning on working oin it this week.

Stewie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 11:14:25 AM »
Now I know why I don't come here anymore.  Not much help.  Other than Jerry hawking his books!

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007, 03:05:40 PM »
Stewie,

I'm two hundred miles from my Hooper book right now.  If you can wait a week, I'll be glad to post those references from his page on finishes.  I know exactly what you are talking about, but I'd be afraid to quote from memory...

Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2007, 06:56:59 PM »
Now I know why I don't come here anymore.  Not much help.  Other than Jerry hawking his books!

Not everything is available instantly on-line; those who are interested in accuracy of the details generally spend a few bucks for references to work from.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Stewie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2007, 02:41:10 AM »
John I understand what you are saying. I have gained priceless information from you in the past, drawing on your 40 plus years of experience with the Camaro.   I guess I should have put it this way.  The car is not a concourse resto, and I am looking for what products people have been using to achieve the underhood finishes.  For example could a spray gray be substituted for the 55 dollar can of grey phosphate or, who makes a decent semi gloss black in a rattle can etc.  My last 69 was an unrestored original so I didn't really need to know the finishes.  I have a pretty good idea of what finishes go where.
By the time I find a copy of Jerry's book up here I will have the job done.
It was just such a blantant plug for his books that is all!
I have gained a lot by asking questions online, and I usually get a pretty straight set of answers. 
But if you guys make it a criteria that you have to have bought the book, before you will comment then what is the reason for having a forum? 

DANW

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2007, 06:32:21 AM »

Stewie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2007, 10:45:47 AM »
Thanks Dan.