Author Topic: Door weatherstripping  (Read 7869 times)

WayneinNZ

• View Profile
Door weatherstripping
« on: September 07, 2008, 07:31:36 AM »
Hi all.
I have had problems with closing the doors.
Basically I have had to open the door and with a hearty push swing them quite hard to get them to latch properly.
I have tried soaking the seals with Wurth rubber conditioner which didnt really make a lot of difference.
The car has been beautifully restored and in desperation I have removed the "new" seals that had been fitted.
I beieve they were bought from a classic industries agent down here.
I have a panelbeater freind who has had a similar problem and it seems to be the very end of the seal where it is flattened out whereby it is too hard to compress properly when closing the door.
We cut away this part and it was an improvement. However when we removed the entire seal we found that the door closes perfectly.... click....
All of the gaps are near perfect so it would seem that the seal is definately the problem
I have had a browse through the forums and it appears that the general consensus would be that the Metro brand seals provide teh best fit and cushioning when closing the doors.
I am proposing to replace only the seal that goes around the door. Would it be better to replace the door frame seals as well?
I would appreciate any input from other forum members as I am reluctant to place an internet order only to find out that I am no better off.
Thanks in advance
Wayne

GaryL

• Marilyn and me
    • View Profile
Re: Door weatherstripping
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 11:04:06 PM »
I used the HBC latex seals. The doore were alingned first, before the seals were installed. The glass was aligned last. No problems at all with closing.
Gary

Lemans Blue X33. DZ, M20, manual steering. Only BU code rear end is original.

hgger69

• Hugger orange rules!
    • View Profile
    • Håkans Motorsida
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 06:26:17 AM »
I´ve the exact problem and I also think my seals are from Classic!   ::)
Regards,
Hakan from Sweden
1969 Camaro X44, hugger orange, 427 ZL-1 tribute, TH350, 4:10 12 bolt Posi, RPO Z87, black/white houndstooth, 14" steel wheels & dog dish, 02D built
www.hakansmotorsida.com

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 09:12:44 PM »
Unless you use latex covered foam or NOS (which are latex covered foam) you are going to have fit problems...
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

WayneinNZ

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 07:15:29 AM »
Ok I have bitten the bullet and have got partial set of Metro Super Softs weatherstrips out of Summit Racing Supplies. Door L & R, Frame L & R and boot (trunk) seal.

I will keep you all posted as to how they perform.

x77-69z28

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 06:24:32 PM »
i just installed the latex door weatherstrips on my 67 rs/ss from heartbeat city. they look and fit great. door closes fine.
69 Z/28 X77 burnished brown, 711 int 05A bought in 78
70 Z28 forrest green, green int, M40, bk vinyl roof PROJECT
99 SS hugger orange 6spd NO TTOPS bought new 1 of 54
15 z/28 Arctic white, A/C 505 HP #251

RamAirDave

• View Profile
    • TheMuscleCarGuys.com
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 05:08:10 AM »
Ok I have bitten the bullet and have got partial set of Metro Super Softs weatherstrips out of Summit Racing Supplies. Door L & R, Frame L & R and boot (trunk) seal.

I will keep you all posted as to how they perform.

You should be okay with the Metro seals.  The fitment is night and day compared to the SoffSeal/OER products.  The latex seals fit well also, but have heard of several having longevity issues with them in that they needed replacement after just a few years.  Very well could be isolated incidents.
"Build them how the designers and engineers envisioned them to be"

www.TheMuscleCarGuys.com

anything