Author Topic: Vibration - not the good kind  (Read 4225 times)

stovebolt

• 1968 L6 Sport Coupe
    • View Profile
Vibration - not the good kind
« on: September 01, 2008, 01:15:38 PM »
My 68 6 cylinder 3 speed manual drives as smooth as silk up to 60 mph. Beyond that speed, there is a general vibration throughout the car, some of it felt at the steering wheel but not excessively. In order to cure this, I was thinking, for starters, of having the four wheels rebalanced, then the driveshaft. If those steps don't cure the problem, how should I proceed? Opinions and recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks, Joe.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Vibration - not the good kind
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 02:13:55 PM »
Don't just have the wheels "balanced" - you can perfectly balance a square wheel on a machine, but it won't roll smoothly. Go to www.gsp9700.com and use the locator feature to find a shop/dealer near you that has a Hunter GSP-9700 balancer - in addiition to balancing, it also identifies radial and lateral runout, and applies a road-load to the tire to check road-force variation as a function of runout and tire construction, and shows the tech how to re-orient the tire on the rim to minimize it.

If that checks out OK and you still have the vibration, the next step would be the driveshaft.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

stovebolt

• 1968 L6 Sport Coupe
    • View Profile
Re: Vibration - not the good kind
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 06:42:12 PM »
John, thanks for the info and the link. There are 41 shops with the GSP-9700 in my area. I will have the tires and rims checked out as a first step. Joe.