Author Topic: 69 M-21  (Read 6303 times)

sixt9x33rs

• View Profile
69 M-21
« on: December 10, 2008, 03:31:21 AM »
My M-21 has silver paint that I can not get off. I have tried everything so I am considering glass beading the transmission. I had this done on another car but while the transmission was being rebuilt. Is it safe to have it glass beaded while it is still assembled? Any comments, experience is appreciated.

Thanks,
'69 RS Z/28 65B, 711 Flat hood no spoiler, endura, 4:10 43K miles
69 X77 Z/28 69 69 711 Original Paint Unrestored (Sold)
'69 X66 Convertible 69B 712 auto, (Sold) 44K miles

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: 69 M-21
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 01:08:09 PM »
I would not glass bead it while it's still assembled.  Take it apart and then do the parts.  Only problem with glass beading is the finish does not last long as dirt and dust will stick to it quickly.  It will look nice for a short while.  It will also have a "duller" finish as you change the petina of the aluminum.

Jerry

dutch

• Documented Canadian 1968 Z/28
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 06:11:22 PM »
My M-21 has silver paint that I can not get off. I have tried everything so I am considering glass beading the transmission. I had this done on another car but while the transmission was being rebuilt. Is it safe to have it glass beaded while it is still assembled? Any comments, experience is appreciated.

Thanks,

Why not just use a good grade of industrial paint stripper for aircraft (aluminum) refinishing. One brand comes to mind here is Tal Strip and it worked great on some aluminum wheels I was stripping to refinish. Don't know if it is available where you are - but I would imagine there are other brands available almost anywhere. - Randy

sixt9x33rs

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 06:34:46 PM »

Thanks,
I have tried a aircraft stripper that I bought from Auto Zone which I have had good luck with but for some reason I can not get it to cut this paint? I will try to locate the brand you suggested or another brand.

Thank you

Why not just use a good grade of industrial paint stripper for aircraft (aluminum) refinishing. One brand comes to mind here is Tal Strip and it worked great on some aluminum wheels I was stripping to refinish. Don't know if it is available where you are - but I would imagine there are other brands available almost anywhere. - Randy

sixt9x33rs

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 06:36:12 PM »
I would not glass bead it while it's still assembled.  Take it apart and then do the parts.  Only problem with glass beading is the finish does not last long as dirt and dust will stick to it quickly.  It will look nice for a short while.  It will also have a "duller" finish as you change the petina of the aluminum.

Jerry

Jerry
Ok thanks for the suggestion. I am going to go on what Dutch has said below and try to find another type of stripper.

Lawrence

BILL69

• 69 Conv. auto/ ac/ ps/ pb/ pt LA built
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 11:59:52 PM »
Paint stripper is sometimes more forgiving than others.   The stripper has to be applied as stated on the instructions for maximum effectiveness.   Most times you can get away with just slapping it on,  but on really difficult coatings it has to be applied in one direction.  Hope this helps.
Be American   Buy American

dutch

• Documented Canadian 1968 Z/28
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 01:33:49 AM »
Ok thanks for the suggestion. I am going to go on what Dutch has said below and try to find another type of stripper.

Lawrence
[/quote]

The clear coat used for wheels is very tough stuff I found out and as I mentioned Tal Strip did the job very well when a lot of other types wouldn't even dent the surface coatings. It's non-directional and isn't difficult in any way to use - just make darn sure that the piece you are trying to strip is well within the temerature range they specify to adhere to - actually warmer is best from what I observed. Obviously also the cleaner the surface from grease and lubricants the better and any of that tranny gear oil that might be on the surface would be hard stuff to get the residue cleaned up from compared to just regular oil an grease.
  As I mentioned Tal Strip is just one of many aircraft strippers available that are formulated so as to not harm the aluminum pieces and it leaves the bare surface looking as good as new in my experiences with it. I was impressed to say the least in my usage of it... Good Luck - Randy

sixt9x33rs

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2008, 03:18:56 AM »

Lawrence

The clear coat used for wheels is very tough stuff I found out and as I mentioned Tal Strip did the job very well when a lot of other types wouldn't even dent the surface coatings. It's non-directional and isn't difficult in any way to use - just make darn sure that the piece you are trying to strip is well within the temerature range they specify to adhere to - actually warmer is best from what I observed. Obviously also the cleaner the surface from grease and lubricants the better and any of that tranny gear oil that might be on the surface would be hard stuff to get the residue cleaned up from compared to just regular oil an grease.
  As I mentioned Tal Strip is just one of many aircraft strippers available that are formulated so as to not harm the aluminum pieces and it leaves the bare surface looking as good as new in my experiences with it. I was impressed to say the least in my usage of it... Good Luck - Randy
[/quote]
I hope to make some head way with this project this weekend. Thanks