Author Topic: Grille color on a X44?  (Read 38100 times)

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Grille color on a X44?
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2008, 02:30:22 PM »
There were 4 headlamp bezels:

all silver no chrome trim [non-style trim cars]
all silver w/chrome trim [style trim cars]
all black no chrome trim [non-style trim SS cars]
all black w/chrome trim [style trim SS cars]
Learning more and more about less and less...

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2008, 03:29:34 PM »
 Here's another COPO silver grille. Neighbor had center only. Silver was on base models too, Right?(Black,COPO and RS being the exception?)

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2008, 03:37:16 PM »
There was nothing special about a COPO car's non-RS grille - they used the same base grille (argent silver) as a six-cylinder grocery-getter.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2008, 06:17:39 PM »
 Thank you. That is now my understanding. That there is nothing different from a base model grille or a COPO Grille. I know COPO's just a drivetrain preference. I just posted the pic for additional reference for the guy re-painting his grill. That grill could have been for a base model as well. Fortunately,I have a neighbor who deals in COPO's and has a greater understanding of these matters like the members on the CRG board.

hgger69

• Hugger orange rules!
    • View Profile
    • Håkans Motorsida
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2008, 08:18:44 PM »
There was nothing special about a COPO car's non-RS grille - they used the same base grille (argent silver) as a six-cylinder grocery-getter.
A base model is a base model independent of engine, huh?! Kurt showed the table explaining this earlier in this topic!

Grille Color
   Model         non-RS |   RS
   ------------  ----------------
   SS            black* | black*
   Z28           silver | black*
   All else**    silver | black*
   --------------------------------
   * except Tuxedo Black exterior, which
     all received silver grilles
   ** incl COPO

I´m going to repaint my grille in argent silver partly due to the fact that it were the right way for my "plane Jane" from Norwwod and partly because I think it look better also!  8)

Once again I bow for the impressive facts that one can find in this eminent forum, thank you all I´m a happy man now!  :D

Regards,
Hakan from Sweden
1969 Camaro X44, hugger orange, 427 ZL-1 tribute, TH350, 4:10 12 bolt Posi, RPO Z87, black/white houndstooth, 14" steel wheels & dog dish, 02D built
www.hakansmotorsida.com

hgger69

• Hugger orange rules!
    • View Profile
    • Håkans Motorsida
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2008, 12:00:05 PM »
There were 4 headlamp bezels:

all silver no chrome trim [non-style trim cars]
all silver w/chrome trim [style trim cars]
all black no chrome trim [non-style trim SS cars]
all black w/chrome trim [style trim SS cars]

Where did you find this table??   ???

i almost never seen a 69 Camaro with all black headlamp bezel!!   :o
Regards,
Hakan from Sweden
1969 Camaro X44, hugger orange, 427 ZL-1 tribute, TH350, 4:10 12 bolt Posi, RPO Z87, black/white houndstooth, 14" steel wheels & dog dish, 02D built
www.hakansmotorsida.com

hgger69

• Hugger orange rules!
    • View Profile
    • Håkans Motorsida
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2009, 09:28:39 PM »
Does anybody have a pic of all black bezels?? I´ve never seen any!!  ???

As i understand so a SS-car should have black grill mesh and black head lamp bezels, correct?!  :-\
Regards,
Hakan from Sweden
www.hakansmotorsida.com

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2009, 08:36:19 PM »
As i understand so a SS-car should have black grill mesh and black head lamp bezels, correct?!  :-\

That's correct (unless it's a black car - then it gets silver). If it has Z21 Style Trim, the bezels have a bright ring; if not, no bright ring.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

hgger69

• Hugger orange rules!
    • View Profile
    • Håkans Motorsida
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2009, 10:17:12 AM »

That's correct (unless it's a black car - then it gets silver). If it has Z21 Style Trim, the bezels have a bright ring; if not, no bright ring.
Thanx John, just as I thought!
...but does anybody has any pics of this combo, I´ve never seen any!! Even in the pics of an "original" 69 in the beginning of this site you sometimes see a black SS-grille with argent bezelz.... ;)
Regards,
Hakan from Sweden
www.hakansmotorsida.com

KevinW

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2009, 02:13:54 PM »

The "egg-crate" portion of the grille should be painted argent silver, matching the headlight bezels; the bright trim around the edge of the "egg-crate" area remains bright. The ring around the headlamp lens on the front of the bezel should also be argent silver, not black as shown in the photo.

Wow, this one got me a little lost here too!  OK, for a non SS hugger orange car, the egg-crate and headlight bezels are argent, check!  knew that.  But the John's statement about the little black ring between the chrome and the headlight has me stumped.  On a non SS/RS HO car the painted part of the chrome style trim ring is supposed to be argent and match the grill???  Makes sense to me, but I have never seen one that way.  John, can you confirm?  Thanks

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2009, 03:23:35 PM »
But the John's statement about the little black ring between the chrome and the headlight has me stumped.  On a non SS/RS HO car the painted part of the chrome style trim ring is supposed to be argent and match the grill???  Makes sense to me, but I have never seen one that way.  John, can you confirm?  Thanks

A non-SS Hugger Orange car gets a silver grille egg-crate and silver headlight bezels; if it's an SS, it gets a black grille egg-crate and black headlight bezels. In either case, if it has Z21 Style Trim, the bezels get a chrome ring; if it doesn't have Z21, it doesn't get a chrome ring. The bezel color always matches the grille egg-crate color.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

hgger69

• Hugger orange rules!
    • View Profile
    • Håkans Motorsida
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2009, 05:14:30 PM »
Yes John, but I think he´s talking about the crome ring, is it black or argent together with the crome?? I´ve just painted mine argent!  :-[
Here is the pic I referred to before:

http://www.camaros.org/images/pages/cars/2009-01/69SS-Jan09-BruceOirear-Full.jpg
Regards,
Hakan from Sweden
www.hakansmotorsida.com

KevinW

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2009, 05:30:01 PM »
John, I might be confused, but I am talking about just the chrome ring.  There is a little bit of black painted on the chrome closest to the headlight.  Should that match the grill paint too?  I have only seen this in black.  thanks

RamAirDave

• View Profile
    • TheMuscleCarGuys.com
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2009, 01:52:47 AM »
According to the chart, SS cars got the bright headlight trim ring whether Z21 or not (kinda like the 1/4 gills?) :

http://www.camaros.org/numbers.shtml#XnnCodes

There's an unrestored X66 locally that has the bright headlight and vertical taillight trim, but that's all I have to go by personally.
"Build them how the designers and engineers envisioned them to be"

www.TheMuscleCarGuys.com

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2009, 06:15:50 PM »
John, I might be confused, but I am talking about just the chrome ring.  There is a little bit of black painted on the chrome closest to the headlight.  Should that match the grill paint too?  I have only seen this in black.  thanks

My original 02D Z/28 (X33 - with Z21) has the silver grille and bezels, and a narrow black ring painted between the bright ring on the bezel and the headlamp.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

anything