Author Topic: Steering box rebuild  (Read 9655 times)

BILL69

• 69 Conv. auto/ ac/ ps/ pb/ pt LA built
    • View Profile
Steering box rebuild
« on: July 30, 2008, 11:25:36 PM »
I have a '69 convertible with Power steering, the box is original to the car.  This car has many miles but has had a restoration done about 10 years ago.  The steering box has a small leak at the pitman shaft and has a "sticking" feeling when driving it.  I feel it is time for a professional rebuild on this part and do not want to lose my original  box to some rebuilder.  Can someone refer me to a competant shop?
Be American   Buy American

68Zproject

• View Profile
Re: Steering box rebuild
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 04:34:41 AM »
What part of the country?  World?
68Z28

BILL69

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 02:11:50 AM »
I am located in Louisville, Ky.  I know a new or rebuilt box is availible through Ricks First Gen,  but seeking info before I decide which way to go.  Any help is appreciated.

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 04:37:44 AM »
 With patience you can DIY.  Vendors are not doing them in house. After purchasing other rebuilt products from several with unsatifactory workmanship I have instead located local shops with solid reputations to do the rebuilds I don't (Starters and alternators [previous units had been bought "rebuilt" from vendors with used brushes and dry bearings] ). I suggest finding a shop that will do it for you and they may be less expensive as you are getting it done directly. And you get to meet the person turning the wrenches. I have not bought a steering box from a vender so my outlook may be harsh. However, It seems that inferior parts today are not uncommon. Another member can direct you to someone reputable I'm sure. 

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 05:23:54 AM »
I had a place recommended to me onTC and I found out they were about 2 miles from my work.  I liked what they did, it was quick and resonable.  If you would like, I could look again to see who it was.  There are in Portland OR.
68Z28

Tinkerr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 07:09:20 AM »
High Performance Steering in Auburn, WA
253-939-9410/1-800-850-9410
I had mine done 2yrs ago does his own work in house. cost $270 in 06, included a good original rag joint
He was the only rebuilder I talked to that could tell me what the numbers, cast and stamped on the housing meant.

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 01:41:28 PM »
 You may try POWER STEERING SERVICES, INC. in Springfield, MO also. A musclecar enthusiast as well. Offers free conversion to quick ratio. Never dealt with him but sounds intruiging. You may find that one you choose are actually doing the rebuilds for the vendors (not necessarily a bad thing). This was the case for MASTER POWER BRAKE.  Scott

camsdad

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2008, 02:29:07 AM »
Lee Manufacturing Co
11661 Pendleton St
Sun Valley, CA 91352

(818) 768-0371

GaryL

• Marilyn and me
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 08:30:27 PM »
Lee Manufacturing Co
11661 Pendleton St
Sun Valley, CA 91352

(818) 768-0371

I do not want to talk about a supplier, but I had bad experience with these guys. After 2 attempts for Lee to fix it I sent it to Pro Steering (see link). I found out there was a bushing missing inside that let my box get sloppy very fast. I was not happy after removing it 3 times. Pro Steering turned it around in 1 day and it is working fine after a few months. I got the recommendation from 68Zproject in a post above.

http://www.prosteering.com/index.htm
Gary

Lemans Blue X33. DZ, M20, manual steering. Only BU code rear end is original.

BILL69

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2008, 10:23:08 PM »
Thank you for all the responses,  I have contacted Power Steering Services in Mo. and will be shipping the box to him soon.   I have to many other projects going to learn the workings inside this particular unit.  This is my weekend driver so it must be right the first time.  Just a little info,  Early Ca. built 69 convertible,  Daytona yellow,  standard white int., 327,  350 auto, a/c, p/s, p/b, p/top.  Lots of miles but no rust.   

melav8r

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2008, 04:19:34 AM »
Lee Manufacturing Co
11661 Pendleton St
Sun Valley, CA 91352

(818) 768-0371

I do not want to talk about a supplier, but I had bad experience with these guys. After 2 attempts for Lee to fix it I sent it to Pro Steering (see link). I found out there was a bushing missing inside that let my box get sloppy very fast. I was not happy after removing it 3 times. Pro Steering turned it around in 1 day and it is working fine after a few months. I got the recommendation from 68Zproject in a post above.

Wasn't that Wyland or Wailin gear in Sun Valley about 10 years ago? My buddy owns Simpson frame in Hollywood and he recommended Wailin? where we picked up what he called a Hot-Rod box, early style box with late model super quick gears, very nice and responsive box, for my brothers 72 El Camino, he's never had a single issue with it and it is very responsive.  I think Lee bought the business and I've heard more than one complaint.

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2008, 08:16:44 PM »
Pro Steering turned it around in 1 day and it is working fine after a few months.

I'm glad you had the same good experience I did.  They are quick! And for once, they are very close to where I work.
68Z28

BILL69

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2008, 11:41:45 PM »
Just installed my Power Steering Gear box and I could not be more pleased.  Power Steering Service in Springfield,  Mo.  was very easy to deal with, it took 2 weeks to have a standard rebuild done on my original 69 P/S box and it performs like new.  They offer different levels of service and detailing.  They responded to my emails before I sent my box to them then phoned after recieving it to let me know the cost.  I would refer thier service in the future,  and thanks to Sauron327 and the other members here for the help.