Author Topic: Convertible Top replacement  (Read 3136 times)

BILL69

• 69 Conv. auto/ ac/ ps/ pb/ pt LA built
    • View Profile
Convertible Top replacement
« on: December 20, 2008, 12:17:59 AM »
Thanks to a mouse my convertible top on my 69 has a small chewed spot at the back window edge.   This top is about 5 years old and was in excelent condition.   I am a good mechanic and have done several restorations in the past but never a convertible.   During the down time this winter I plan on removing the old top,  repainting  the mechanism,  and replacing  the windshield while I'm at it.   Installing the new top is the only thing that has me worried because of no experience.  I plan on getting the top from Ricks First Gen.  Are there any secrets that will help me or should I look for  a local installer when that time arrives?   I appreciate any advice,  this site and  forum members have provided me with great info in the past
Be American   Buy American

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Convertible Top replacement
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 05:31:37 PM »
The most important first step in a top replacement is to make sure the frame is properly adjusted and the glass set properly to the weatherstrips BEFORE installing the top skin.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

KevinW

• View Profile
Re: Convertible Top replacement
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 12:07:17 AM »
Having done this with a friends pace car, you need lots of time, a warm garage, plenty of patience, 2 people, an air stapler and a Fisher body manual.  John is correct as usual, once you staple, its hard to go back!

anything