Author Topic: 69 decode  (Read 9585 times)

ChopChop

• View Profile
69 decode
« on: July 23, 2008, 02:09:19 AM »
hi all im new in town and have just imported a 69 camaro convertible, now it is supposed to be a correct numbers matching car although im having a few issues verifying it, so heres what i have so far.

Vin : 124679N534829 (as stamped on the dash)

The only info i can find on the front of the engine on the pad is this code : VI10IFK (i assume there should also be a vin/engine number there to? The "I"'s have me stumped.)

I have the protecto plate that matches the vin and have attached an image of the cowl tag.

Any ideas? im thinking the engine might not even be out of a camaro at this point.

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
Re: 69 decode
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 02:41:47 AM »
Welcome aboard.

First, go to the main CRG site and check out the following:  http://www.camaros.org/numbers.shtml.  You will see a section that will help you decode your Protect-O-Plate.  From the same link, be sure and download the VIN # and trim or cowl tag decoder at the top of the page.

Using either the info at the link above or the VIN/Cowl Tag decoder, your VIN decodes as:

1 = Chevrolet
2 = Camaro
4 = 8-cylinder engine
67 = convertible body
9 = 1969 model year
N = Norwood, OH assembly plant
534829 = vehicle serial number sequence

and your Cowl Tag decodes as:

Decode for body number: 153657

11A = Month and week when Fisher Body began to assemble the body; first week of November 1968.
69-12467 = Convertible.
NOR = Built in Norwood Ohio
153657 BDY = body number
727 = Standard Interior, Ivory / Black Bucket Seats.
72-B = Lower Color is Hugger Orange and the Convertible Top Color is Black.

The engine code on the pad decodes as:

V  = Flint, MI engine plant
I I = month of engine assembly (November)  Note:  not uncommon to see an I used instead of a 1 for the engine date code on small blocks - what you have is the norm.
0 I = date of engine assemblyh (the 1st of the month; your engine was assembled at the Flint, MI engine plant on Nov 1, 1968 which agrees nicely with the 11A Cowl Tag date.)
FK = 327 cubic inch / 210 Hp base V8 engine with 2 speed Powerglide automatic transmission

This information is on the main CRG site under drivetrain decode at:  http://www.camaros.org/drivetrain.shtml
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 03:08:10 AM by rich69rs »
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

ChopChop

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 03:06:01 AM »
Ok thanks allot for clearing that up, i had read over most of those links, but i was a little confused on the "I", i did read somewhere that the letter"I" was used sometimes instead of a "1" but when it had an "I" and the "1" was used i was a little confused.

I am concerned that there is no engine/part vin below the engine code as well, does this happen often? i have read somehwere that sometimes they are down on a pad near the oil filter, although it dosn't appear to be there either.

The rest of the stuff decodes out spot on, but i need the engine number in Australia so i can register the car to drive on the roads. I suppose i can just stamp it on there?
Could you give an example of a correct engine number, so i would know exactly what to look for or stamp if i cant find it?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 03:14:59 AM by ChopChop »

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 04:45:02 AM »
I am concerned that there is no engine/part vin below the engine code as well, does this happen often? i have read somehwere that sometimes they are down on a pad near the oil filter, although it dosn't appear to be there either.

Can you post a good photo of the engine pad?  The partial VIN should be there on a 11A car.  Read this...  http://www.camaros.org/drivetrain.shtml#PartialVINs

The rest of the stuff decodes out spot on, but i need the engine number in Australia so i can register the car to drive on the roads. I suppose i can just stamp it on there?

Don't do anything until you post a good photo of the engine pad.  You don't want to do any modifications to the engine pad if it retains the factory stamping!  There are experts here that can tell you if the stamping is original, so please wait.

Could you give an example of a correct engine number, so i would know exactly what to look for or stamp if i cant find it?

The partial VIN for your car would be 19N534829.  Now post that photo!!     :)

Paul

P.S.  If you have the original POP, your engine assembly code will be listed there, see if V1101FK is on it.

ChopChop

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 05:27:35 AM »
Damm camera went flat just charging up now....

Hope i dont sound too silly but what is a "pop"?

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 05:35:12 AM »
Hope i dont sound too silly but what is a "pop"?

Sorry, POP = Protect-O-Plate.     :)

Paul

ChopChop

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 05:58:48 AM »
Here you go, also got a shot of the POP, it does have the same engine code on it..

The pad on the engine was painted over, i have carefully scraped the paint off the gave it a light sand with fine sand paper and nothing there...

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 01:15:52 AM »
The VIN should be by the oil filter then.

Car was for sale in GA last I knew (back in early 2007).
Kurt S
CRG

ChopChop

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 02:22:58 AM »
i bought it from gateway classic cars in march 08, if it is down by the oil filter will the pad be cast rough or machined flat like the pad by the alternator?

Gramps69Z

• 69 X33 D80
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 03:33:48 AM »
It's a rough cast and can be very hard to read with the engine in the car.   By the way the engine stamp looks good.   
Hope this will help you.
http://www.camaros.org/images/decode/1969_V8engine_alt_stamp_location.jpg

There's a lot of information contained in the red CRG box in the upper right corner of this page.
Captain John Wykoff
Destin Fire:   October 31, 2015 at 0700--Officially Retired

ChopChop

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 03:58:35 AM »
Well as you all said there it was, bloody hard to find in the rough cast and with paint on it and no lift to get under the car.

Its barley legible but it appears to be correct....! yipee

Thanks guys for you help, i kept panicking but you kept steering in the right direction, thank you thank you...!

Im sure ill be back with another question soon enough.

Oh BTW i tried to use the CRG decoder it worked, but it wouldnt create an output file so i could email it to you, im running vista prem, any issues with it?