Author Topic: GM BBC Oil pan did it ever come with.....  (Read 15981 times)

opelitis1

• View Profile
GM BBC Oil pan did it ever come with.....
« on: July 21, 2008, 12:02:35 AM »
Going through my stuff and I came across a BBC rear drain bolt type and the pan has a trap door type thingy with baffles... I have a couple of race pans with the same things... Did this come from GM as manufactured this way, or, was Bubba hard at work???  Real neat job of cutting away materiel on the pan bottom..  Can send 4 pics, but,  I need an e-mail addy as my computer is a dynosaur... Bought a new Dell Inspiron with Windows Vista replete with  Hi-speed,  but, that is another tale of friggin' horror dealing with customer service people way way overseas..  Blasted 'puter has been outta service since Feb. and after spending close to a G note, they refuse to send a tech rep to fix the beastie...   T.

L78 steve

• View Profile
Re: GM BBC Oil pan did it ever come with.....
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 03:34:33 AM »
I believe it is a Corvette piece .
69 Z/28 Dover White. SOLD
67 SS/RS Mt. Green 1W,2LGSR,3SL,4K,5BY,07C. SOLD
70 Nova L78 Blk. Cherry,Sandalwood,M21,02B

nuch_ss396

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 07:17:46 PM »
If it is what I think it is, that is a Corvette SHP oil pan.  It should also be a 5 quart pan.

Nuch
69 SS 396, Hugger Orange, D/80, D/90
Chambered Exhaust, N/66, THM400, 3:73 posi

Steve A.
  CRG

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 03:29:08 PM »
Here's a '65-'74 Corvette BB oil pan - they were all the same.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

red67l78

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 02:30:07 PM »
Do you have a pisk of the drain hole?

Pacecarjeff

• View Profile
    • pacecarjeff.com
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 02:44:46 PM »

opelitis1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 03:13:56 PM »
Red67l78, looks like Pacecarjeff beat me to it...  The thing that gets me is, this must've been a heck of a pan with the baffles and "trapdoor" on a hinge type affair, and apparently there was a windage tray that was in fact, specific to this pan.   This was a 5 quart rear drain pan...  T.

opelitis1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2008, 11:08:21 AM »
How and where did the windage tray go???  Were  there 2 available with this pan or just one, the flat(3967854)???  Ted

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2008, 03:39:15 PM »
How and where did the windage tray go???  Were  there 2 available with this pan or just one, the flat(3967854)???  Ted

All '65-'74 Corvette big-block pans used the 3967854 windage tray (baffle).
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

opelitis1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 11:21:34 AM »
Goin' further on the oil pan subject: did GM at one time or another ever extend pan capacity by cutting the sump and re-welding it back together whist adding material, thereby gaining more pan volume..  I guess they did not have the space to go the "kickout" route and starters at this point in time were of the large Delco variety..  Does anyone have a picture of the welding done by GM on an original BBC GM pan??? Why were the oil drain bolts changed from the side of the pan to the rear of the pan or vice versa, from back to side???                Ted

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 03:58:16 PM »
Goin' further on the oil pan subject: did GM at one time or another ever extend pan capacity by cutting the sump and re-welding it back together whist adding material, thereby gaining more pan volume..  I guess they did not have the space to go the "kickout" route and starters at this point in time were of the large Delco variety..  Does anyone have a picture of the welding done by GM on an original BBC GM pan??? Why were the oil drain bolts changed from the side of the pan to the rear of the pan or vice versa, from back to side???                Ted

Nope - GM never did any cut-and-weld modifications for added capacity on any production oil pans. Have no idea why the location of the drain plug moved around.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Tinkerr

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2008, 07:54:25 PM »
bracket racers with little or no money in the racing budget would modify the pans by cutting and welding a section of metal to increase pan capacity. the drain plug was moved to avoid oil flowing on the header tubes when draining the pan.

nuch_ss396

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2008, 08:34:33 AM »

Nope - GM never did any cut-and-weld modifications for added capacity on any production oil pans. Have no idea why the location of the drain plug moved around.

John,

I saw a MarkIV windage tray on ebay earlier this year that was more rounded than the traditional flat version.  If memory serves me, that went for much
bigger bucks than normal for a BBC windage tray.  Wish I saved that auction........

Steve
69 SS 396, Hugger Orange, D/80, D/90
Chambered Exhaust, N/66, THM400, 3:73 posi

Steve A.
  CRG

opelitis1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2008, 06:42:32 PM »
Good afternoon!!!  John, were the Vette 5 qt. pans all rear oil drain?  The one that I have here is "rear" and it looks original, meaning I can't see any side drain hole that is covered up.
I have another BB pan where someone has cut and welded more material back to gain capacity.  Pretty bad "hack" job, but, I guess it worked... Again question is,  were original Vette pans of  65 - 74 vintage all rear oil drainage types???  Thanks!!! Ted

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2008, 03:00:24 PM »
Again question is,  were original Vette pans of  65 - 74 vintage all rear oil drainage types???  Thanks!!! Ted

Yes, all '65-'74 Corvette BB oil pans were the same, and all had rear oil drains; none had side drain plugs. The same was true for SB Corvette oil pans.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

anything