Author Topic: Clarifications on the Assembly process...  (Read 6796 times)

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
Clarifications on the Assembly process...
« on: July 15, 2008, 10:19:23 PM »
This is for a 69 Camaro...

1.When was the suede textured dash sprayed after the semi-gloss on the lower dash?
2.Was the suede texture used on the rear corners and edge around package tray?

3.The Assembly process says that the Vins were assigned and installed at the Chevrolet side of operations... so this means that the Vin plate would not be suede textured / or on a non-black colored interior car the vin tag would be black... is this correct?

4.The Stripes on the cowl grille were painted at Fisher, then the hood and valence stripes were done at Chevrolet... correct? This is how I understood the report.

James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Clarifications on the Assembly process...
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 11:16:56 PM »
2.Was the suede texture used on the rear corners and edge around package tray?
Yes, also rear speaker and defogger grilles per 1969 PPG paint manual.
3.The Assembly process says that the Vins were assigned and installed at the Chevrolet side of operations... so this means that the Vin plate would not be suede textured / or on a non-black colored interior car the vin tag would be black... is this correct?
The VIN tag was initially dip-painted black then the top painted with suede; I have seen several off the car. I believe the plan was to paint the tag to match the dash but I have observed a number of non-black interior cars both ways; black and interior color.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 01:54:56 AM by KurtS »
Learning more and more about less and less...

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 03:02:40 PM »

4.The Stripes on the cowl grille were painted at Fisher, then the hood and valence stripes were done at Chevrolet... correct? This is how I understood the report.

3. The intent was to have the VIN match the color of the upper dash - some plants painted the VIN after stamping it, and some didn't, and the process changed between plants and over time; my original 02D Norwood car has the VIN painted dark green (not suede) to match the upper dash.

4. That's correct - Fisher Body painted the stripes on the cowl vent panel, and the hood and header stripes were painted by Chevrolet in their front sheet metal paint system before the sheet metal (front clip) was installed on the painted body.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

firstgenaddict

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 06:55:32 AM »
Working on an early 69 Z right now (10D) and doing the dash and cowl... was there a differnence in black out procedures or dash painting from early to late... did anything change?
Was there an additional black out procedure after the spraying of the White in the wiper well?

On the Black 04C Survivor the white in the wiper well had black out overspray on it at the base of the windshield.
Was this additional black out part of the change brought about to eliminate the excessive white overspray on the early white striped cars?

James
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 03:47:43 PM »
The black is probably overspray from painting the top of the dash. If you strip the dash on a car with white stripes you will encounter white paint under the dash paint.

I know of an 06A car that had the entire top cowl masked except the two small areas under the cowl vent grille.
Learning more and more about less and less...

firstgenaddict

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 04:41:41 PM »
That is my question William...
According to the CRG assembly report the dash was sprayed prior to white in the cowl... thus there would be no black over white... however I want to figure out if later in the year there was an additional step inserted to alleviate the heavy white overspray ie. Did the later white stripe Z's go through the repair booths twice?
The first time for the white stripes then a second time for an additional black out procedure over the white overspray?

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe I read somewhere that in March of 69 the heavy overspray on firewall issue was supposed to have been cured.

This is interesting because I had the 04C survivor and now am doing a 10D (early) Z... and the back of the cowl grille on the black car is painted white... however on the blue car it is body color. The blue car also had much more white overspray... everywhere it seemed like... and did not appear to have black at the base of the windshield...
Anyone have an early Z white striped original paint survivor they would be willing to pull the cowl vent panel off and look at the base of the windshield and see if it has any black overspray on the white? 
James