Author Topic: Part of suffix code/assembly date cut off under cylinder head....Possible?  (Read 4594 times)

LT12NV

• View Profile
I'm trying to verify authenticity of #'s for a friend on a 69 L78 Camaro....The suffix code/assembly date is partially under the cylinder head...IS the possible?

Was the deck stamped prior to cylinder head installation?

I thought it was done AFTER the engine was completely assembled which would make this block a restamp..Just wondering...Seller swears its a legit stamp.. ???

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
Big blocks were stamped with the Assembly date and suffix code before the heads were installed... small blacks after...
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Anything is possible, but the gang-stamp holders used at Tonawanda on big-blocks had a tab on them that located over the front edge of the pad to consistently place the stamping on the same place on the pad so it wouldn't be hidden under the cylinder head later. You can see the tab protruding from the bottom edge of the gang holder in the photo below.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
Correct me if I am wrong...

The JE would be towards the front of the engine with the cotter key pointing towards the lifter valley... so the tab sticks out the bottom and acts as a stop from the left side of the stamp pad? 
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Correct me if I am wrong...

The JE would be towards the front of the engine with the cotter key pointing towards the lifter valley... so the tab sticks out the bottom and acts as a stop from the left side of the stamp pad? 

Yes - as viewed from the front - the tab hangs over the front edge of the pad and prevents the stamp from being located too close to the front of the cylinder head.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG