Author Topic: Data base for Camaro Race Car?  (Read 18245 times)

Historic Racer

• View Profile
Re: Data base for Camaro Race Car?
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2008, 12:34:07 AM »
Wow, what an awesome find.
I'm currently building up a '68 for historic racing, but finding something like that with some history is great.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2008, 08:11:22 PM »
Dan,

Thanks again for all the information. I appreciate it. Best of luck with the (racing) restoration of the car.

-Jon
Jon Mello
CRG

Racerdan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2008, 02:05:23 AM »
Thanks!

It would be cheaper to buy one already done, but it would not be a real vintage car.  The documentation is a slow process.  Nobody kept their pictures, etc. 

Mark Donahue sat in the car back in the early 70's, that is about as close to fame as we can get so far.

Racer Dan

Racerdan

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2018, 12:37:39 AM »
Jon,

In order to race in SCCA, each driver was required to do a drivers school first.  Ron Wood, the owner/ driver went to Donnybrooke Regional/School on  5/12/72.

The first actual race he went to was at Hutchensen, KS on 5/27/72- where Ron placed 1st in Class and 1st overall as car # 18.  Shortly thereafter he started racing it as #48. 

It shows the Camaro as white for its log book and in the photo in the log book.  In disassembly of the car, the orange still shows behind the front fenders at the firewall, under the doors, in the door jams, etc.  I do not know when he repainted it, but it was red white and blue in 1974, when we got a couple of other pics of the car.  (This is the color we will eventually restore it with again).  In 1978, it was painted blue with white Z-28 stripes and with Z-28 badges. 

I have been able to determine the car was orginally out of California, was a 396 big block, with air.  I cannot determine the actual miles on the car, but I figure about 10,000 miles in California (one year), and the rest on the track racing in SCCA.

I have actually discovered I was wrong in thinking this was an A/c car, with a big block.  After years of discovery, I can now honestly clear that part up... it was NOT an A/c car.  The car was not a Big Block either.  My confusion of what I thought was a dual fuel line clip was not one, and the kick panel in pass side, along with the big block radiator being made in 1970 sure cleared up my thinking it might have been n A/c car.  The firewall cut out where the heater defrost box went was not factory, it was cut out by hand making me think it was for an A/C box.  Thanks!

Racerdan

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2018, 03:01:55 PM »
Well, I am full of errors!  I just found my notes I recorded in 2008 when I removed the radiator on the Camaro:
Tag= I0   UY
         70     R
“10”= big block, 4 core end tank, with curved neck
“UY”= Broadcast code= COPO (big block 4 core 23 inch wide core, .16 spacing on fins) part # 3018624* Used in 1969 on manual transmission 396 air cars and 427 COPO cars only- 4 core, 23 inches wide, with .16 fin spacing.
“00”= big block manual end tank, four core only used on big block manual trans cars.
Between these two letters is the letter “F” which means it was made the month of  June.
“70”  and “R” are unknown characters and meaning is unknown.
The tag I found loose in my parts bin I took a photo of must have been from a Corvette from 25 years ago... but this is the actual info ion the radiator that came in it, I wrote it down when i removed and inspected it.  Of course the date is off, but it led me to believe it could have been an SS instead of a Z28.  But the radiator had to of been replaced with a heavier one when he raced it in the 70's...

I am guessing the radiator might still be in the barn where we stored some of the parts off the car...and the tag might still be on it.

Racer Dan
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 04:46:52 AM by KurtS »

Racerdan

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2018, 03:19:32 PM »
We recently found a newspaper article from 1972 in the Eagle Grove Iowa newspaper, with a photo of it when it was wrecked in June of 1971 as a street car. It states it is a 1969 Z28, previously owned by Ken Thompson out of California, turned into an SCCA Road Race car, and several races it had been in in 1972.

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2018, 07:07:15 PM »
Can you post the pic of the car from the log book?
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

anything