Author Topic: Underhood black  (Read 6476 times)

Flowjoe

• View Profile
Underhood black
« on: July 01, 2008, 03:49:55 PM »
In order to achieve 60% gloss for those parts needing it does anyone have a recommendation on paint type or mix to achieve this level of gloss black?

A second question...the heater cover box (on the firewall) should it be the same level of gloss as the firewall it self (30% gloss) ? 

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Underhood black
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 05:20:36 PM »
Joe,

Heater box covers are full gloss black,

JM

Flowjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 11:01:11 PM »
Joe,

Heater box covers are full gloss black,

JM

Thanks Jerry,

right after I posted this I thought to look it up in your book  :) (the '69 one) and it shows the heater box cover to be 60-70% gloss (p205, New Revised 2nd ed)...could you please clarify which is correct?

So, any suggestions on how to achieve the correct level of gloss with modern paints?  My paint shop can no longer mix acrylic enamels  (like centari) but even if they did I couldn't use a hardener and still achieve something less than gloss.

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 12:22:42 AM »
This is hard to explain, but the full gloss is based on a standard that I cannot explain on this forum.  If you were at a show, I could show you examples to help.  I'm not a body shop paint guy so difficult to tell you gloss ratios.

Jerry

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 12:53:47 AM »
 Any company has flattening agents for their products, whether it be laquer or urethane. PPG, Dupont,HOK, etc. etc. Different ratios will achieve different levels of gloss. However, if you don't have a digital scale and your not familiar with mixing paint, you cannot maintain consistency from one batch to the next. For example, PPG's 9266 laquer is an indusry standard semi gloss black. Although you can mix it to any level of gloss you want. I also use urethane (with a hardener of course) with flattening agent to achieve the look I want.  More expensive than laquer. Pertaining to the statement on hardeners. Hardeners have no effect on flattening agents. Add it to clear and it will flatten. Your local paint supplier should be able to assist you in your endeavor. Or at least cross ref. to mix what you want.----I just saw that Jerry updated his reply. And yes, Lack of visual reference and chemical paint compositions can make it difficult if not impossible in this forum. One thing. Keep in mind that laquer sprayed at full gloss (Unbuffed) will be surpassed in glossiness by a urethane. Different animals.  And on and on.

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 04:28:02 PM »
In the Dupont book from 1969 it says... Unbuffed unpolished Lucite will have the appearance of semigloss interior paint, if less gloss is needed add up to 1/2 oz of flattening agent. 
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 02:38:10 AM »
 Has something been omitted from the info. stated in the book? I inquire trying to assist enthusiasts with little or no auto body or paint mixing experience. And not spray straight lacquer and be disappointed with the outcome if they are trying to achieve semi-gloss. Unbuffed lucite(lacquer) will not be as glossy as buffed but semi-gloss implies that flattening agent has been added and therefore, side by side the two would appear differently.  A 1/2 ounce of flattening agent at what ratio (Mixing systems use weights)) does the book indicate. Paint prices have gone up considerably lately and without proper knowledge a novice's experimentation could be costly. One brand of primer I use went up $10.00 per gallon in 24 hours. Many members may be aware of painting aspects already, I'm just trying to assist those who don't.

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 11:17:06 PM »
I was saying that just spraying pure lacquer may achieve the result with out having to mess with flattening agents.

On a side note... has anyone else ever thought that the color GM used on the inner fenders, rad support, heater core cover, etc had a bluish tint to it?
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa