Author Topic: Guage cluster codes  (Read 15670 times)

68Zproject

• View Profile
Re: Guage cluster codes
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2008, 07:57:47 PM »
Kurt, Yes, but I put them in.  The holes had been reamed out and "customized" so I won't ever know if someone drilled the holes or they were there already.  My thinking is the console and tach were added.  I was trying to see (by this thread) if the whole speedo cluster had been changed or if someone just put a tch where the fuel guage was.  If the latter, I would then assume the guage was added.  BTW I sent a PM Kurt.
68Z28

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2009, 03:59:06 PM »
Is there a place to find info on what these cluster broadcast codes meant for Camaros?  As I go back to a non-tach car, it would really help me to know if I need a whole new cluster or just a fuel gauge instead of tach.  My present cluster is dated correctly for my car's build date and I'm sure many of you could appreciate how difficult it would be to get a whole cluster with the right date as opposed to just a fuel gauge.
68Z28

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2009, 12:13:25 AM »
The broadcast code was applied by AC when they built the cluster in its many combinations as-shipped to the plants. All the various permutations of speedometer types and large tachometer redlines and fuel gauge types determined the broadcast code, which was printed on the Broadcast Copy. The center piece was pierced out of the cluster at the plants to add the U16 Tachometer or the U35 Clock, and the plants pierced the holes for the C50 Rear Defogger and the convertible power top switch, so those options weren't part of the coding for the broadcast code applied by AC.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2009, 03:44:46 AM »
Is there a resource for checking what these numbers mean John, other than a broadcast copy?
68Z28

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2009, 01:40:54 PM »
Is there a resource for checking what these numbers mean John, other than a broadcast copy?

I don't have a chart that breaks down the AC code stickers, but someone out there in the hobby probably has one. Those codes are known for midyear ('63-'67) Corvettes due to the large number of Corvette cluster restorers, but the Corvette clusters weren't as complicated as the Camaro clusters.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG