Author Topic: Fake '68 Z28 Convertible article in Hemming's Muscle Machines  (Read 16235 times)

seeburg220

• 1959 Seeburg Model 220
    • View Profile
There's a beautiful '68 RS/Z28 convertible on the cover of the August issue of Muscle Machines.  Just got it today, and read it.  The builder fully discloses that it's a counterfeit convertible; in fact, he built it to highlight the fact that fakes are out there and are getting harder to tell.   It's a beautiful car, Marina Blue, deluxe interior, RS, with lots of options.  He had some documentation made to match what he is presenting.   Since there is only 1 known '68 convertible Z28 to have been built, it makes it obvious that it's not real.  He sure went to a lot of trouble to do it!    ???

GaryL

• Marilyn and me
    • View Profile
Re: Fake '68 Z28 Convertible article in Hemming's Muscle Machines
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 03:19:47 AM »
Log on to Team Camaro (www.camaros.net) and get to know wagonman. It is his car. He has been up-front and "documented" his build all along.
Gary

Lemans Blue X33. DZ, M20, manual steering. Only BU code rear end is original.

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 01:38:50 PM »
Know him well from TC.  His is a very nice car.  There's an old thread where he has a video of it when he first got it started up after the resto.
68Z28

nuch_ss396

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 11:03:53 PM »
.... The builder fully discloses that it's a counterfeit convertible; in fact, he built it to highlight the fact that fakes are out there and are getting harder to tell.   ....

I'm not bashing the owner, but the the hell's the point of building a counterfeit car like this only to prove that fakes are harder to spot?
Don't we already know this from the 569 ZL-1 tribute cars fro sale on ebay...... ::)

Nuch
69 SS 396, Hugger Orange, D/80, D/90
Chambered Exhaust, N/66, THM400, 3:73 posi

Steve A.
  CRG

GaryL

• Marilyn and me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 02:52:57 AM »
.... The builder fully discloses that it's a counterfeit convertible; in fact, he built it to highlight the fact that fakes are out there and are getting harder to tell.   ....

I'm not bashing the owner, but the the hell's the point of building a counterfeit car like this only to prove that fakes are harder to spot?
Don't we already know this from the 569 ZL-1 tribute cars fro sale on ebay...... ::)

Nuch

I doubt anyone would build a car liike that to prove a point. The point was the by-product. He built it becuase he wanted to do it.
Gary

Lemans Blue X33. DZ, M20, manual steering. Only BU code rear end is original.

L78 steve

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 12:54:16 PM »
We all have our own "Dream car" either in our minds or in our garages .If you can't find one, build it.
69 Z/28 Dover White. SOLD
67 SS/RS Mt. Green 1W,2LGSR,3SL,4K,5BY,07C. SOLD
70 Nova L78 Blk. Cherry,Sandalwood,M21,02B

Oaklyss

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 02:18:42 PM »
 Showering a Fake car with awards and magazine articles will only encourage a lot of others to build Fakes. Now there will be a lot of people who will try to build "the most complete and accurate Fake on the Planet". The difference here is the fake broach marks and paperwork. When 1000 people start to buy this stuff because they now think their car might win an award for it or get in a magazine, the fake paperwork will get real good and much harder to tell from real. Build your car anyway you like, but faking paperwork and broach marks are only detrimental to the hobby and there is really no need to do it.
69 RSSS ZL-2 4 speed, mint unrestored 04A LA built-SOLD
1968 GTCS mint unrestored original paint
1972 AMX 401 4 speed, cowl induction, twin-grip, A/C, unrestored, original paint
1963 Oldsmobile Jetfire factory Turbo and Methanol injection, 4 speed, posi, 1 of 4 known to exist

L78 steve

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 05:00:11 PM »
I see your point on the paper work .That may lead to trouble at some point unless its destroyed before a sale .But with this particular car there will be no doubt its a recreation .
69 Z/28 Dover White. SOLD
67 SS/RS Mt. Green 1W,2LGSR,3SL,4K,5BY,07C. SOLD
70 Nova L78 Blk. Cherry,Sandalwood,M21,02B

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 10:29:25 PM »
Like Gary and 68Zproject said, I find wagonman to be an upfront guy when you read his posts on TC and the magazine article is clear about what the car is.  I do think, however, anyone goes too far with fake paperwork.  And it is hard to justify that as "educational".  But, having said that, isn't this just a very unique clone of one?  The fake Z28s that truly worry me and truly hurt the hobby are all the hardtop ones for sale on Ebay!

...What I really want to know is what class you would judge it in???
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

67rscoupe

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2008, 05:36:08 AM »
...What I really want to know is what class you would judge it in???

Good Question.

Nice site BTW..long time listener but first time posting.
ON Yenko.net Wagon Man mentioned bringing the z/28 convertible to the Supercar reunion? How would this car be judged?

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2008, 01:56:14 AM »
Only haveing seen the car in the magazine it is truely beautiful. He is very clear about it being fake, I have no problem wiith that. BUT, why didn't they do an article on the real Z-28 convertible? hemming's Muscle Car is one of the best mags out there, but I wish they would do articles on REAL cars not clones.
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

nuch_ss396

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2008, 12:21:10 AM »
Perhaps they should change the name of this magazine to: Hemming's Fake Muscle Car, or Hemming's Cloned Muscle Car.

I personally don't like it - at all.  I also saw an article on a Challenger that was "cloned" to a 440 6-pack in another issue of this
same magazine.  What's going on here?  Are these cars going to be legitimized now because they have correctly dated and
numbered components?  Where do we go from here???? :o

Nuch
69 SS 396, Hugger Orange, D/80, D/90
Chambered Exhaust, N/66, THM400, 3:73 posi

Steve A.
  CRG

black69

• View Profile
    • my_car
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2008, 07:10:45 PM »

I would crack up if a lawsuit comes up down the road when that car trades hands (and we all know it will someday), and the publisher gets sued for playing into part of the deception process. Lawyer's sue everyone that had a finger in the deception. hemmings has an industry perception as one of the best classic car sales magazines, that would be easy to establish.  I think the cover of hemmings is the problem, the article itself seems to have enough disclaimers. A good lawyer will focus on the deceptive cover I think, I don't think it indicates 'fake' or 'clone' anywhere, maybe i should go read it again to be sure.

It is a free country, but cloning is one thing, aiding/promoting deception is another (they gave the guy the cover shot). I now wonder if they put the 71 challenger in there to cover their butts on if they get sued on the camaro...they would need a few more articles of 'fake' cars to cover themselves. So there is another thing to go check, when did that mopar article come in, before or after the camaro fake? it makes me think..they may need some back pocket legal insurance for themselves for when that camaro comes back to bite them in the shorts. hemmings has been around a long time, this one may take a while to catch up to them.
Black 69L78. 4:10, RS/SS/ZL2, 'black painted tail panel different than body','red hockey stripe w/ v-top exception'
Blue 68Z28. 4:10, Kustom 'tunnel tube' headers, Nickey sold.

67rscoupe

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2008, 11:09:47 PM »
i think the above poster should read the article again. even the cover itself states "ONE OF NONE" how can you mistake that?

If it does ever change hands i bet it would bring some coin! what like $250K

i purchased the 2009 camaro calender with the car in it. it says 1968 rs z/28 convertible.

do you want to sue the calender peublisher as well?

it is the best first gen camaro built in my opinion.

Ron C.

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2008, 06:56:47 PM »
who is to say that a clone is (forbidden fruit) or a sin to build? Look at all the yenko clones and ZL1 clones and all the COPO clones.The old saying is BUYER BEWARE!! If your looking for a particular car DO YOUR HOMEWORK!! The counterfitters will allways be out there wether its cars, collectables, or even money,they will be out there and its buyer beware. :o
67Z/28,67RSZ/28,71SS454CHEVELLE.