Author Topic: 69 Camaro RS  (Read 25073 times)

Damon

• 69 Camaro RS
    • View Profile
    • www.damonr.com
Re: 69 Camaro RS
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2008, 03:31:58 PM »
Look what I received in the mail today... ;)

Damon

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2008, 03:42:26 AM »
NICE!!!
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

jeffschevelle

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2008, 03:39:57 PM »
I want to keep it orginal for sure.  Items I believe I will need are a fuel tank sending unit/pick up, suspension components (bushings, brake rebuild kits, pads, drums, rotors, leaf springs, tie rods, etc) normal wear items.  It dos not need a frame off, so more of a survivior type fix up.  Body is great, my concern is drivetrain from sitting all those years.

I have a 65 Chevelle Z16 that was parked in 1982 and not moved or even cranked for over 25 yrs.  I bought it in 2001 and finally got around to getting it going this past fall.  I drained the engine, removed the valve covers and carb.  Then I soaked the valve springs and valve stems with Marvel Mystery Oil, reinstalled the valve covers, and filled the entire crankcrase to the rim with M.M.Oil, as well as pouring some down the intake. 

I let it sit for about 2 months, drained it, then ran another load of M.M.Oil through it, installed a new oil filter, fuel filter, NOS gas tank and sending unit (blew out and flushed the fuel line as well), and the rebuilt carb, and it cranked and ran as if it had just been driven yesterday. 

On the brakes I opened each bleeder one at a time and used a vacuum pump to draw fresh clean fluid down from the master cylinder through each line until it came out clean with free flow, and all the brakes work great without replacing anything except the master cylinder with an NOS unit with the same date code.

On the suspension I just greased everything.  Also drained the rear axel and refilled, and topped off the trans grease.  And it all works just fine.

So these old cars will surprise you at how well they hold up if you are very careful about checking each item one by one, and going "easy" on each item as you press it back into service.  If you go slow and easy then you should not have to replace as many of the items as you listed above, especially suspension wise.  On a time capsule car like you have, you should avoid replacing tie rods, springs, brake drums and the like if there is any possible way to do that, as original finishes, casting no's, etc., should be maintained for the originality of the car.  Unless you plan to make it a daily driver (PLEASE SAY NO!!), then all that stuff does not need to be "perfect" and new anyway.

Good luck with your project! - Jeff

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2008, 06:05:36 PM »
I will emphasize that you need to try the safestrustremover.com until you see what it will do with your own eyes you will never grasp how the product attacks nothing but corrosion, not phospate, paint, rubber, stickers, chrome, aluminum, cadmium, zinc di-chromate, & etc.
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

anything