Author Topic: Emblem reference lines in the AIM  (Read 4285 times)

GaryL

• Marilyn and me
    • View Profile
Emblem reference lines in the AIM
« on: March 06, 2007, 08:55:27 PM »
In the AIM the emblems are located by reference lines. How are the reference lines located. What does circle 20 for the Z/28 emblem reference?
Gary

Lemans Blue X33. DZ, M20, manual steering. Only BU code rear end is original.

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
Re: Emblem reference lines in the AIM
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 10:14:55 PM »
Hi GaryL -

Here's the thread on this very subject:

http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=1625.0

Per Jerry MacNeish's advice the best way to place an emblem correctly is to make a tracing from an original fender, hood, etc. and then overlay the tracing paper on the new part.  It is very difficult to place an emblem properly using the AIM.  Good luck!   :)

Paul 

GaryL

• Marilyn and me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 01:00:15 AM »
Thanks. One time the AIM is not much use.
Gary

Lemans Blue X33. DZ, M20, manual steering. Only BU code rear end is original.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 04:39:50 PM »
The dimensions in the A.I.M. are quite accurate, but are only useful if you have a body shell or panels set up on a surface plate to datums defined by the GM Body Grid Measurement System, specifically for body measurements. Those dimensions are based on a point on the firewall being "0" fore-aft in the side view and a point below the rocker being "0" vertically, with all points rearward being positive and points forward being negative, in five-inch grid increments. SV = side view, FV = front view, RV = rear view, PV = plan view.

They worked fine in assembly plants to build drill fixtures once a body set up on a surface plate was marked-up based on the grid coordinates, but are of little use otherwise; that's why the best way to locate emblems is as Jerry mentioned, by making tracings or templates from a finished car with correctly-installed emblems.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG