Author Topic: Polishing (Jeweler's Rouge Type) Chrome?  (Read 6292 times)

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
Polishing (Jeweler's Rouge Type) Chrome?
« on: June 26, 2008, 01:05:01 AM »
On bumpers (and other chrome) that really aren't pitted or flaking, what kind of success have you had with "jeweler's rouge" type polishing (not the stuff like Mothers where you can also polish glass and plastic) to take off minor scratches and tarnish?  What are the major drawbacks?  If you've done it, is it worth it?  What polish and polishing medium did you use?   ???

(We've got enough body work done on the 68 now to where I need to make on my mind on what I'm going to do about the bumpers, etc.  They really aren't bad... And remember my 68 is a driver...)

Appreciate any feedback...  ;D Really appreciate kowning about your experiences....  ;D ;D ;D
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

dan the man

• View Profile
Re: Polishing (Jeweler's Rouge Type) Chrome?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 01:19:51 AM »
I've had good luck useing x-tra fine steel wool. It even took out some minor pitting.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 dennis                                                                                                                                                                                                           68 RS-SS  L35/M20                                                                                                                 

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 12:47:53 PM »
When you use the steel wool, do you use it dry or do you wet it with something like detailer? 

dan the man

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 02:57:55 AM »
I USED IT DRY WITHOUT A LOT OF PRESSURE, THEN USED SIMICHROME POLISH.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 08:59:10 PM »
Once you get it the way you want it, don't use "polish" again - "polish" contains abrasives and will eventually remove the clear chrome layer and expose the underlying bright nickel, which then oxidizes, gets dull, and starts to pit and corrode. Just use "wax" (not "polish"), and lots of it.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 12:55:37 PM »
Once you get it the way you want it, don't use "polish" again...

True, but what polish and procedure works best to get it the way you want it?

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 03:52:31 PM »
Once you get it the way you want it, don't use "polish" again...

True, but what polish and procedure works best to get it the way you want it?

Simichrome, Wenol, and Nev-R-Dull are examples of "polish" that have very mild abrasive qualities; make sure the chrome is clean first so you don't rub in dirt and create more scratches.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

anything