Author Topic: So, what make a great car show/meet?  (Read 18233 times)

CanCam68

• View Profile
Re: So, what make a great car show/meet?
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2008, 05:26:10 AM »
Good point Gary!  I'm from S. Ontario, and it can get hot here as well.  Personally, I won't go to a hard top show... they really heat up.  Nothing beats shade!

One point no one has brought up, and I think it could cost bucks?... aand that is to provide some sort of music...either a live band or a DJ.

Do you guys/gals think that this is important?

Thanks for the feed back to date.

CC68

CanCam68

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2008, 02:35:13 PM »
I've been approached by a couple of antique people who have indicated some interest in setting up a couple of tents @ a car event.  I don't think that they are car orientated in their inventory...would you invite them, or do you think this might be a bit "tacky"?

Would like some input on this, eh?

CC68

77thor

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2008, 04:55:02 PM »
No antiques... unless they are car related.

Music is a must... usually have DJ's around here.
1969 Camaro SS, 350(NOM), M21, 12 Bolt Posi, 01B LOS Build
1977 Camaro, 350(LM1), M20, 10 Bolt Posi, Purchased New, (SOLD)

68Tom

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2008, 06:02:20 PM »
One point no one has brought up, and I think it could cost bucks?... aand that is to provide some sort of music...either a live band or a DJ.

Do you guys/gals think that this is important?

Thanks for the feed back to date.

CC68

CC68, as a person involved with music in several different forms, if I were you, I'd simply get some good speakers/small PA system.  You can get a fairly decent set-up for a reasonable price.  This will include a microphone so you can do appropriate announcements, etc.   If you plan on doing this yearly or several times a year, you'll save yourself a ton of money in the long run.  Plus, if you use a local shop, you might be able to get a good discount or donation in exchange for a event sponsorship.

From there...as far as music is concerned, I would simply get an iPod and create a great playlist that is long enough to last the entire event.  I  wouldn't waste money on DJ for this type of event.  People are busy talking, looking at cars, etc. and although they'll enjoy the 'background music', it'll be just that--background music. The expense just doesn't make much sense.

Unless you want to make a band a major part of the event--end of show party, for the same reason, I just wouldn't spend the money.  I personally go to these shows to see great cars and meet cool people, not see some 4th rate cover band (for some reason I'd always prefer to hear the original recording than a bad version of it)

JMHO....

CanCam68

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2008, 04:08:56 PM »
Thanks for the heads up on the music aspect...some good points to consider, eh?

Up here, I see the events closing a lot earlier now...in the area of 3-3:30.  Many will stay until the 50/50 draw then leave.

One think I think I will definately not do... and that is what happened at the last S&S that I attended.  They called all the winners with their cars to line up, took pics and handed out the awards.  To my way of thinking it was like rubbing your noses in that you didn't qualify... and some of the ones that they lined up, were not a good as some of the ones still left out of this activity.  Least that's how it felt to me....IMHO

CC68

sd1968z28

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2008, 03:46:33 PM »
must have been a real big water baloon?

wtexz10

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2008, 07:15:34 PM »
One thing my club starting doing several years ago, was to stop classing cars.  We award Peoples Choice and Top 30 Cars.  No best in show, no best in class.  This tends to elevate the nicest cars regardsless of how many happen to be in a particular class.  We don't hear nearly as much grumbling.

We've also done away with the the cheap plastic trophys.  For the past several years we've purchase Framed Automotive prints from several well known artists and then attached a small brass plac which reads "Top 30".   Now the participants have something they can proudly hang on a wall.   Most of us have way to many plastic trophys laying around.

Oh this year we are presenting replica disc brake / calipur models signed by the famous Jim Hall of "Chaparal Racing". 

Here's my plug, come join us at the "West Texas Cruisers" annual show to be held at the Permian Basin Petroleum Museum in Midland, TX Sept 23rd.  The museum is home to all of Jim Hall's Chaparals.  Check out the September issue of Road & Track.  Article on the Shelby Terlingua Mustang.  It has a photo of the musem.

Good Luck,

Kris
69 Camaro Z10.. 72 GMC C1500
79 Mazda RX7.. 79 Trans Am WS6
06 Corvette Z06.. 10 BMW 650i

zegret

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2008, 04:39:04 AM »
Kris,

Isn't that show on the 27th of September, not the 23rd? 

I will see about entering one of my cars at this show...I went as a spectator last year and had a great time.  It has been a while since I have actually entered a show.

Here is  a link for more information on the show, for those that are in the West Texas area!

http://www.westtexascruisers.com/announcements.htm
1969 Coupe
1969 RS
1980 Z28
2002 SS

CanCam68

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2008, 03:31:11 PM »
Kris, you made some great points in the area of "judging".

On the TC site, there's been a fair bit of heated discussion on this very topic, as many feel that it isn't being done in an effective/objective manner.

I remember going to one car event, wherein you had to put you own car # on the voting slip.  I think this was to try and curb the "club" voting that takes place at show and shines, thus squewing the system.

And if down yer way this winter, we'll have to quaf a few cool ones, eh?

CC68

wtexz10

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2008, 07:08:52 PM »
Zegret,

You are correct our show is Saturday Sept 27.  We hope you can make it.  I see you live here in Midland also, we'll have to get together and swap Camaro stories.

Kris
69 Camaro Z10.. 72 GMC C1500
79 Mazda RX7.. 79 Trans Am WS6
06 Corvette Z06.. 10 BMW 650i