Author Topic: So, what make a great car show/meet?  (Read 18231 times)

CanCam68

• View Profile
So, what make a great car show/meet?
« on: June 21, 2008, 12:34:12 AM »
Would like to start a new show and shine in my area, and would appreciate some input as to what should go into a great meet?

I have my own opinions on what should be offered, but would like some info from you guys/gals as to what would attract you into going to a certain car gathering.  I have several sponsors ready to back me, so would like this first effort to really get off the ground, so to speak, so they will stay with the even in the future.

Thanks in advance.

CanCam

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: So, what make a great car show/meet?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 12:58:27 AM »
Car shows around here are inundated with street rods and late model Mustangs. You can try to limit it to "classic" cars but around here that's 20 years or older. And keep bikes out.
Learning more and more about less and less...

CanCam68

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 02:00:18 AM »
Ya, I agree with you on keeping the bikes out, but would like to offer the car guys something different than the mill run.

For example, went to a car meet a couple of years ago, and there was an announcer that had a series of questions that he gave over the pa system, re. car in general, and you could attain prizes by answering them... kept us on our toes listening to these.  At the time, it was entertianing and informative.  So, htought to myself, that's a great idea to get the people involved.

Then there's always the 50/50 that seems to attract interest.

But, is there some thing that you wished that the organizer had included in the format?

capt

z-villejw

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 02:26:55 AM »
Don't yet caught up in judging the cars! I've run a car show going on our 10th year. What we do is give away lots of door prizes that we get donated & use the money that we get from our sponsors to buy gift cards to local resturants. Everyone that enters a car gets a ticket and at the end of the show we have a big drawing & give the gift cards away. It takes all the politics & grumbling out of the show & everybody has a good time. We tried judging the cars the first 2 years and it seemed like we always had somebody getting mad because he didn't get a trophy or dust collector as I call them. We now have people asking when is our show going to be.
J. Wiles  Southeastern Ohio
1968 RS SS Coupe with 1967 427-435 Tri-power
Tripoli Turquoise with Black Vinyl Top
4 Speed with 3:31 12 bolt

CanCam68

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 12:59:47 PM »
Thanks for the tip V-J on the judging... that seems always to be a thorn in the side, eh?  I often hear of groups or clubs coming in and swaying the vote one way or the other.  Ya, politics do get in the way.

I liked one show that I went to, wherein one had to put their ID number down when voting, to keep things on the up and up...but must have been a pain to cross reference.

Anyway, thanks so far for the reponses.  Still looking for things that you'd like to see, or things left out a show format.

CanCam68

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 11:46:01 AM »
At the Carlisle show they have a womans pavillion. My wife now looks forward to the show every year. I was considering doing something esle this weekend, and she said we were going. I go check out the car stuff, she goes to the "womans pavillion". She gets a massage, get her nails done, and meets me later on in a good mood. Oh yea, the burnout contest always draws a croud.

Tom
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

CanCam68

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2008, 01:43:39 PM »
Thanks for the "Women Pav"... that's quite the...concept.  I know my wifey always asks me.. is there a shopping centre within hailing distance?...she's got the bug!

What do you guys think of a "Burn up"... rather than a "Burn out"...it's fairly common in Canada, wherein you pull tickets from a bag with a time on it, and that's the time that you are stuck with.  Then, there is a selected old beater...pref not a GM product (out of respect, I guess?)...a brick or stick is placed on the gas pedal...the car roars @ 5/6K rmp, and the one closest ot the exact time it stopping is the winner.  Seems to be pretty popular... but a fair bit of planning/prep must go into setting one of these up.

Anyway, was still hoping to see if any of you out there have taken part in any games/activities or such that might set a meet apart from the rest.

I do appreciate your suggestions to date, eh?

CC68

seeburg220

• 1959 Seeburg Model 220
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 01:10:37 AM »
We had our 22nd annual car show today.  I'd like to thank the inept weather forecasters for scaring away 1/2 to 2/3 of the normal expected crowd...They harped Thursday night on tv, about severe weather, damaging winds, blah blah blah.   Saturday was nice,  it rained a little last night, and today was sunny and hot, with rain only appearing after 5pm.

That can be a detriment to your show, depending on how much work you have into it, and things like vendors who show up, but no customers.   No real good answer, other than to remind people to ignore the weatherman, and look at the radar on the internet before you leave.

50/50 is good and we sell varying lengths of tickets:  arms length $5,  car length $20,  all the way around the biggest car, $40.   That's a big seller there, because some people go in together on it.

People's choice awards are good, because it's not 5 or 6 judges; it's dozens of peers.   

Good luck!

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 09:53:34 PM »
If you are going to have raffles have one every hour or so to keep people involved. This means you need a lot of donations from people or places of buisness. If your show is to help support a needy cause this normally isn't a problem. Most shows we go to have "coffee cans" in front of different gifts. You buy tickets $1 each or 6 for $5 and you put your tickets in cans you want to win. 50/50, have the drawing before (an hour??) the awards. If you are judging the cars, don't allow anyone to vote in their own class. A bake sale always goes over big here in the midwest. A DJ with 50's 60' 70's music!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep the entry fee as inexpensive as possilbe and naturally ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, a Dash plaque for the entered cars. Most of the shows here draw around 100 to 200 cars but they only give out a certain amount of plaques to get the cars in early!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Did I say to much!!!!!!!!!!??????????????????????? ;D

Dave

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2008, 11:34:59 PM »
.....and whatever you do - nothing stupid like a water balloon toss contest (or any 'activity') around the cars other than looking! 

..about 10 yrs ago at a local Sat show and shine I witnessed first hand such stupidity.  Idea was to let the kids have some fun with a water balloon toss.  Chance to get wet on a hot summer day.  No problem so far except ...... this would have been fine about 100 yards away from the cars.  Anyway, on this particular day, the organizers of the event had a water balloon toss just outside where the cars were parked.  One kid threw his water filled ballloon to the other person a little to high and hard.  If landed in the middle of the windshield of a yellow '69Z which had a cross ram setup.  I'll never forget that car - and yes the windshield was original to the car. 

Talk about a mess - no one was liable, no one took responsibility.  All that happened was that the hat was passed around to try and collect a few bucks for the owner of the Z.  At the end of the day he lost his windshield due to pure stupidity and through no fault on his part - he was literally in the wrong place at the wrong time.

It amazed me afteward how many people said, "It was just water." One lb of water falling from 10-15 feet on a hot summer day in south Louisiana was like a brick hitting that hot windshield which shattered upon impact.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 11:46:50 PM by rich69rs »
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

CanCam68

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2008, 01:07:39 AM »
Got it!  No water balloons.  God what a horror story!  I think the 50/50 is a must!  Liked at one show, they had a full...bosomed gal selling the tickets, and you could by a strand that stretched... you know where!  She sold alot of tickets that day.

Excellent idea of the hourly draw..I think ya gotta have the people tuned in, eh?

And Oh.. if you ever saw any games that didn't destroy windshields... and were fun... clue me in...I am writing down these comments...as some of you are as well, or making mental notes.

Thanks for the contributions, gays/gals!

CC68

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2008, 03:09:02 AM »
How about bash the ford (or merc, dodge, amc, jeep, import, etc). Grab an appropriate vehicle strip it of glass, and rent out the sledge. Havn't seen it done in some time, but might work.

Tom
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

CanCam68

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2008, 01:29:05 PM »
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?  Ya, Tom, I can see some merit in this. I've seen only the one in the past... they kept the glass in.. what a mess to clean up!

Thinking of car games to play...I did see one that kind of interested me... but am worried about the safety and insurance thingy.  Anyway, what they did was... set out a short course... maybe 100ft or so, had some pylons at the end of it, and the driver was blindfolded, and had to get as close to the pylons as possible.  If ya hit them, you were out.  They had a judge in side the car as well.  The ladies seemed to like this event.  But, as I mentioned... would worry about things if the person inside accidently punched the pedal .  I hear that any waivers that one signs at these events can be cicumvented by a good lawyer?

Anyway, if there are any more games out there let me know, eh?

CC68

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2008, 12:21:56 AM »
IMO I would not "bash" any cars. Unless you are limiting your show to just GM products which I would not think would  be an advantage. The more cars and different types you can draw is only a plus to you and your group. Besides, liabilities (cost of insurance )I would imagine could be quite high.  Keep as simple as possible.

Again just my opinion

Dave

GaryL

• Marilyn and me
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2008, 03:42:13 AM »
Not sure where you are from CanCam, but I am in a hot part of the state. Look for a location not on blacktop or concrete. Try for a park with trees. Like William said, limit it to older cars. We have shows in our area where only pre '76 cars are welcome. Also have a Camaro class. ;D
Gary

Lemans Blue X33. DZ, M20, manual steering. Only BU code rear end is original.