Author Topic: Cast Iron Q-Jet intakes ex 1st and 2nd Gennies  (Read 6924 times)

opelitis1

• View Profile
Cast Iron Q-Jet intakes ex 1st and 2nd Gennies
« on: June 17, 2008, 12:08:16 PM »
Is there are way of telling whether a like-numbered intake is for a Vette / Camaro /reg. psgr ?
Getting my listings up to date and when I Google a casting number it shows either Vette / Camaro or Chev psgr.  I am not trying to dupe anyone into buying as "Vette" or I would not ask on a public board... Did the cast iron intakes come from Flint or were they all from Tonawanda???  Thanks!!!   T.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Cast Iron Q-Jet intakes ex 1st and 2nd Gennies
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 02:25:03 PM »
Iron intakes were cast both at the Saginaw Foundry (for Flint V-8) and at the Tonawanda Foundry (for Tonawanda Engine), and many of the same casting number were cast at both locations. Corvette intakes were cast ONLY at Saginaw, as Flint V-8 was the sole source for all Corvette small-block engines; both plants supplied engines to passenger and truck plants. Saginaw-cast intakes have a single digit for the year in the casting date code, and Tonawanda-cast intakes have two digits for the year.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

opelitis1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 06:50:36 PM »
Is there a quick way of classifying if the intake was peculiar to the Saginaw (for Flint)
foundry.. Is there an "S" or a "F" somewhere???  Going through some cast intakes and I noticed 2 different dates on one intake.  One was on the upper side and the other was on the bottom near the oil shield.
Is this normal???  Oh yeah JohnZ, thanks for all the GREAT info you come up with, time and time and time again.. Very much appreciated!!!   Ted

crobjones2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 07:23:06 PM »
John
My intake has a single digit for the year - this makes it a flint intake?
The block is a tonawanda cast - with a single digit?
I'm a little confused, would a flint intake have been installed on a tonawanda block?
thanks
chris
Chris
69 SS 350

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 02:52:45 PM »
Is there a quick way of classifying if the intake was peculiar to the Saginaw (for Flint)
foundry.. Is there an "S" or a "F" somewhere???  Going through some cast intakes and I noticed 2 different dates on one intake.  One was on the upper side and the other was on the bottom near the oil shield.
Is this normal??? 

Normally, iron small-block intakes have the casting date on top, just forward of the distributor hole; aluminum intakes (cast by Winters foundry, not by GM) usually have the casting date on the bottom, under the oil shield. Saginaw-cast iron intakes ALWAYS have a single digit for the year code, and Tonawanda-cast iron intakes USUALLY have two digits for the year code, although exceptions have been observed.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 02:58:23 PM »
John
I'm a little confused, would a flint intake have been installed on a tonawanda block?
thanks
chris

No, you wouldn't find a Saginaw-cast iron intake on a Tonawanda small-block engine - at least not from the factory; most Service castings came from Saginaw. Some Tonawanda-cast blocks (for small-blocks) had a single digit for the year code, but it wasn't the "norm". The best feature to determine the block source is the presence/absence of the square-head 1/8" NPT plug at 11 o'clock just above the timing cover - only Saginaw/Flint blocks had it.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 08:55:09 PM »

The 1/8" NPT plug that John references is clearly shown in this pc.  Engine is a '69 Camaro 327 built at FLint Engine in Nov 1968.

Richard Thomas
1969 RS

crobjones2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 12:57:59 AM »
John
thanks
chris

No, you wouldn't find a Saginaw-cast iron intake on a Tonawanda small-block engine - at least not from the factory; most Service castings came from Saginaw. Some Tonawanda-cast blocks (for small-blocks) had a single digit for the year code, but it wasn't the "norm". The best feature to determine the block source is the presence/absence of the square-head 1/8" NPT plug at 11 o'clock just above the timing cover - only Saginaw/Flint blocks had it.

The block is a 388 without the plug cast date E209
the intake is 3927184 with a cast date of E69
the heads are 041 with a casting date of E229
Enginge pad stamp T0525HB

Does this indicate the intake was cast in flint? even though it was assembled in tonawanda?
I would assume the intake was cast in tonawanda along with all the other parts
is this an accurate assumption?
Chris
69 SS 350

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 02:59:45 PM »
The block is a 388 without the plug cast date E209
the intake is 3927184 with a cast date of E69
the heads are 041 with a casting date of E229
Enginge pad stamp T0525HB

Does this indicate the intake was cast in flint? even though it was assembled in tonawanda?
I would assume the intake was cast in tonawanda along with all the other parts
is this an accurate assumption?

As I indicated above, single-digit year codes have been observed on Tonawanda castings, and yours is one of them - your dates line up fine for a Tonawanda engine. All castings for Tonawanda engines were poured there - the Foundry was on the same site with the engine plant, about 100 yards away.

There may have been a cutoff point where Tonawanda changed from two digits to one in the year code on small-block castings, but I've never studied it; my experience with their castings is in the late 50's through the mid-60's (about 1967), and that pattern is consistent.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

crobjones2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2008, 01:28:55 AM »
Sounds like a future research topic ;)
Chris
69 SS 350

anything