Author Topic: MECUM AUCTION  (Read 11845 times)

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
MECUM AUCTION
« on: May 17, 2008, 11:45:32 AM »
Troy, Rich, Ed, Kurt, Jon, Martin, Bill, Mark, and guys on the board here,

Today is the big day.  Word on the street is the blue ZL1 will sell in the 1-2 million range.  Have seen this car in person many times and it's ugly IMO.  But it's the highest optioned car and many with $$ would like to have the bragging rights to own it.

The Herbie's Hugger car is a real L89 car and I shot photos of the window sticker.  It's real!  The owner would be better off selling this car restored.  It's not even restored to it's 1970's racing state and that hurts any nostalgia race car.

I posted an e-mail to the CRG group last night regarding the front spoliers on 1968 models for Ed but have not seen it come through on my lap top this morning.

There was a 69 Z28 last night with a repro trim tag that got up to $80K and the guy did not sell it.  Must be a dealer who doesn't know he has a fake trim tag.  The whole engine bay was reproduction.

Many of the cars here are nicer than what I see at BJ.  The staff here treats you very well too.  I just hope they bring in ther serious players.

Jerry   

jk1969z28

• View Profile
Re: MECUM AUCTION
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 04:47:51 PM »
Hey Jerry,

Had to drive to Fort Lee, Va. yesterday morning to pick my son who has two weeks of leave before being deployed, so I rushed home hoping to catch Old Reliable and I got back just in time.  I hope you got a or get a copy of it going a cross the block.  I don't have my recorded hooked to the TV that gets HD Theater or I would have taped it.  I've seen it in your shop a half dozen times, but when you fired it up that was the first time I've heard it, and it sounded fearsome.  But the best part was the commentators remarks and the glowing things they said about the car and you personally, you'll be proud.  I thought for sure it would sell the price went up quickly, but at some point I'm sure you'll get what it is worth.  Have a good and safe trip back and hopefully talk to you soon.

Take care,
Jerry K.

fireZ

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 05:47:44 PM »
I see Jerrys Old Reliable went to 400 grand and stopped. What a car when you hear it fired up. Good Luck Jerry Mac
1968 Z28 LA Built
LIC # RPO Z28

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 06:07:48 PM »
I see Jerrys Old Reliable went to 400 grand and stopped. What a car when you hear it fired up.

It sounds exactly like mine!!     ;D

Paul

fireZ

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 06:11:44 PM »
My 68 z sounds great but Jerrys car is deafening. Great sounding car,
1968 Z28 LA Built
LIC # RPO Z28

jdv69z

• 69 RS Z/28 52E
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 01:43:03 PM »
I see Jerrys Old Reliable went to 400 grand and stopped. What a car when you hear it fired up. Good Luck Jerry Mac

So did it sell, or?

Jimmy V.
Jimmy V.

fireZ

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 01:48:57 PM »
The guys on Yenko.net said it did not sell when he last seen the car. Maybe it sold in the end.
1968 Z28 LA Built
LIC # RPO Z28

jdv69z

• 69 RS Z/28 52E
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 01:46:10 PM »
Saw the blue RS ZL-1 sold for $800,000. The market is soft?? Looks like it has 427 emblems on the ducted hood, and on the fenders. Would it have come this way? Also, it certainly does not appeal to my eye too much either.

Jimmy V.
Jimmy V.

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 09:36:10 PM »
Did not sell my Old Reliable Z28.  Missed my reserve by $100K.  The Little Hoss Z28 sold for $330K last year plus com and that car did not have the pedigree race history that my car has nor did it win an NHRA World Championship title either........still did a big number though.  I should have tried to sell mine last year as the money probably would have been there.  It's my feeling that many one of one cars should still do well regardless of the economy, but mine sure did not.  Was also told that many of the big buyers were not here.  I'm not an auction expert but I will say that Mecum did a good job advertising and also treated us well.     

Dave Christenholtz made out well.  The blue ZL1 had dealer add ons and it's not a pretty car.  It did do $800K plus com.  Dave paid $275K for it.  Larry Christensen's ZL1 did $480K and Dave paid $200K for it.  The Jim Parks black 1967 Yenko is the car that amazed me.  There are plenty of things incorrect on it and this car has the four wheel drive front coil springs and it did $480K plus com.  Stupid money for that car IMO.

Some cars did well and many did not fair well.  Most say this auction was down 25-30% in sales numbers.

I spent $800 just in fuel for the 1200 mile round trip.  Hotels, food and entry, more $$$$.  Was a costly weekend for CHP.

Jerry 

fireZ

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 11:17:28 PM »
It amazes me how some cars that are not perfect attrach the biggest money. That Old Reliable has a solid history and is correctly done and still the high money goes to cars with what I would call questionable restorations. I am sure someone will pay you what the car and it history is worth. Good Luck   
1968 Z28 LA Built
LIC # RPO Z28

Dave69x33

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2008, 01:22:56 AM »
Was this the Mecum Auction held in Indianapolis this past week, 5/14 - 5/18?  I live in Indy and attended.  There were many exceptional cars of all makes!

Was this the Blue RS ZL1 that you are referring to?  See pic's attached. It is a cool car for what it is but I have to agree that the stripes are a bit over the top for my taste.

Larry Christensen's former yellow ZL1 looked outstanding, typical for his work and cars.  I asked the attendant if I could get a closer look at this car to check its build date, but with no luck.  I believe this is the ZL1 Larry restored that needed a COPO "BE" 4:10 rear ended dated April 69.  If it was Larry’s ZL1, this car and my Z28 were built the same month, May '69.  My car had a "BE" rear end and his ZL1 had a std. duty "BV" 4:10 rear so we made a trade arrangement. 

I don't believe this BE rear end was originally painted due to the heavy rust pitted axle tubes. I understand that some of the BE rear ends were not painted and prone to rust. I was curious how the rear end looked after Larry got through with it.

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2008, 02:55:48 AM »
Dave,

We had certified Larry's ZL1 in the "Legend" certification before he sold it to D. Christenholtz.  It scored top flight honors.  The BE rear was painted semi gloss black and in perfect condition.  I just sold another BE original rear housing and it too was painted black.  Back in the 1970s when I was doing a lot of rears for locals, i did several BEs and as I recall they were all painted black.  Not sure if this rear was original to the car.  The engine and trans were not.  I verfified that while judging it.

Larry's ZL1 is one of the nicest in the country and Wayne who bought the car got a hell of a deal. 

Jerry

texasappraiser

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2008, 12:52:44 AM »
It amazes me how some cars that are not perfect attrach the biggest money. That Old Reliable has a solid history and is correctly done and still the high money goes to cars with what I would call questionable restorations. I am sure someone will pay you what the car and it history is worth. Good Luck  

Many folks don't give a flip about history...

69LM1

• View Profile
    • http://www.69lm1.com
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2008, 01:34:36 AM »
I spent $800 just in fuel for the 1200 mile round trip.  Hotels, food and entry, more $$$$.  Was a costly weekend for CHP.

Jerry 

I'm sure you'll make it up when you come down south! I still need the smog setup for the L78 :)
It's always easy to look back and say "I should have", but I would encourage you to hang on to Old Reliable till the market corrects. Unless of course I hit the lotto next week.

Rich
Rich Pern
2012 Mustang Boss 302
69 COPO Camaro "Tin Soldier"
70 Z28 COPO
69 Camaro 307. Orig car from High School