Author Topic: Hood Levelers  (Read 5260 times)

Pex68

• View Profile
Hood Levelers
« on: May 16, 2008, 03:04:29 PM »
Are they supposed to be Zinc or Phosphate?  Any markings/numbers on the rubber?
Chris P
1968 Sequoia Green SS 396/325 M20

Dave69x33

• View Profile
Re: Hood Levelers
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 03:02:37 PM »
Pex68,

Do you have a 1968?

I have a 45K mile Norwood 69Z, built the 1st week of May that appeared to have the originals (before I restored the car).  The nuts were rusted to the screws and beyond restoration to make them look new again.  I purchased replacements from AMK products which are very nice, close replacements if not exact NOS "replacements".  AMK purchased GM, Ford and Chrysler bulk hardware from assembly plants when they closed. You can visit their web site at www.amkproducts.com, or keep a search for them on E-Bay.

I used the new hardware and put the original bumpers back on the adjuster screw.  They have a raised off-set circle in the top surface.  The AMK replacements have "ABC" molded in the top surface.  See pics below.

The screws and nuts are gray-black phosphate.

Does anyone have a survivor 67, 68 and 69's with this original hardware and post pics?

Can anyone confirm the originally of the two bumpers shown?  I believe the originals for 69 had the raised circle.

Thanks,

Pex68

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 04:47:03 PM »
Dave,

Yes I have a 68, that’s my car in my profile.  I have purchased a lot of hardware from AMK, some is correct; some is not in my opinion.  For instance, Voltage regulator kit they sell has the correct bolts and head marks, but their phosphate and the originals were zinc.  Also found different head marks on a lot of their bolts vs. what I took off my car but that could just be a supplier thing.  I'm strict about putting back what was found so in most cases I restored whatever hardware that was salvageable.
I can't remember what was under the bumpers/nuts on the levelers-zinc or phosphate, and can't seem to find the originals either to verify, that's why I'm asking.  I did find what I believe to be the original bumpers (not positive because their so easy to change without leaving evidence) and they do have the ABC marks on them.  I'll post some photos later because one has a double mark.
Maybe someone with original levelers could check????
Thanks.
Chris P

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 06:00:13 PM »
I'm out of town at the NCRS Motor City Regional Meet this week; when I get back home on Monday I'll take a look at my original '69 and post a photo.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Pex68

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 11:47:40 PM »
Great, thanks a million John!
Chris P

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 02:59:43 AM »
I looked at mine on my 68 Z today, they look like your first picture with the bump on it.  By the looks of them I would say they're original.
68Z28

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 11:41:04 PM »
Here's one of my originals - the stud and nut are phosphated. The "bump" on the top surface of the bumper is from the hole in the circular reinforcement in the hood that contacts the bumper when the hood is closed.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG