Author Topic: Paint on floor pans  (Read 5799 times)

sixt9x33rs

• View Profile
Paint on floor pans
« on: May 15, 2008, 09:37:10 PM »
I have a Norwood 69 Z Olympic Gold RS car that is at the painter now, and I need to confirm or get your comments on the following:

Background info:

1. Currently, there is surface rust on the underside of the car, but I can see gray primer in various areas that had oil etc.  had leaked on the underside of the car.
2. I understand that some cars came from the factory with gray primer as my car has on the underside and others were painted black. I see many cars that have been restored painted black on the underside, but not many with the gray primer.

Questions:

Is it correct for the underside to have the gray primer then the body color overspray then the black overspray due to the RS option?
A few months back there was a Lemans Blue RS Z car that was a high point car that had a gray primer underside with the overspray as I have explained. If anyone remembers that car and discussion was that car done right?

Thanks
'69 RS Z/28 65B, 711 Flat hood no spoiler, endura, 4:10 43K miles
69 X77 Z/28 69 69 711 Original Paint Unrestored (Sold)
'69 X66 Convertible 69B 712 auto, (Sold) 44K miles

Sauron327

• View Profile
Re: Paint on floor pans
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 11:01:36 PM »
  As the underside of cars from the factory were not masked off it would hold true that floor pans would have body color overspray on them in succession. For example, your blacked out rockers. I've been doing my own ground ups and custom airbrushing for 25 yrs. and although some prefer no overspray when doing a complete, the factory was not as confining in their painting practices. John Z. will confirm the factories approach to painting procedures.

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 03:32:29 AM »
As captain of the "Diamond" team and "Legend Certification" at the Camaro nationals, I can tell you that no two cars are the same.  When doing a restoration, judging guidelines are stating that we like to see semi gloss black floor pans.  Mimimal body color over spray is acceptable but but as stated minimal, not completely covered floors, we also like to see the floor pan plugs with the natural silver plated finish.  This has been a hot topic over the past few years but when the concours system was set up, factory flaws and shotty work were not to be acceptable when a car is restored.  When restoring a car, it should be nicer than they were when built new.........and tastefully done.  Want to learn more, then come to the Camaro Nationals next month.  This is where you will learn more about the cars and how they are beoing restored.
Jerry 

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 04:01:39 PM »
I have a Norwood 69 Z Olympic Gold RS car that is at the painter now, and I need to confirm or get your comments on the following:

Background info:

1. Currently, there is surface rust on the underside of the car, but I can see gray primer in various areas that had oil etc.  had leaked on the underside of the car.
2. I understand that some cars came from the factory with gray primer as my car has on the underside and others were painted black. I see many cars that have been restored painted black on the underside, but not many with the gray primer.

Questions:

Is it correct for the underside to have the gray primer then the body color overspray then the black overspray due to the RS option?
A few months back there was a Lemans Blue RS Z car that was a high point car that had a gray primer underside with the overspray as I have explained. If anyone remembers that car and discussion was that car done right?

Thanks

As has been stated there were large variations between cars and also plants. The Vintage Judging program certifies unrestored cars. We are are in the Y building as well at the Camaro Nationals @Carlisle. Participating this year we have five unrestored, which provide a wealth of information on what techniques and finishes were used by the factory.  You are welcome to stop by and view these cars and ask any questions you may have.

This is the event to participate or spectate in if you want to see some example of the finest camaros.
Steve Shauger
Vintage Certification™ Program, Providing Recognition And Status To Unrestored Vehicles.  The Supercar Registry-www.yenko.net-

anything