Author Topic: RS - wiring route to Alternator  (Read 4229 times)

smith69z

• View Profile
RS - wiring route to Alternator
« on: May 09, 2008, 11:43:20 PM »
I'm just finishing up my wiring and after I connect the wire clip to the side of the pass fender I only have enough slack to get the wiring to run in front of the washer fluid res straight to the alternator with very little slack left. Is this correct? If not where should the wire route to feed to the alt? I have searched the AIm and all eBay cars without one route being prevalent. Thanks. I almost think I will need to un-wrap the harness and move the push-in (attached to the side pass fender) back up the harness some distance.
Thanks for any suggestions,
Don

RamAirDave

• View Profile
    • TheMuscleCarGuys.com
Re: RS - wiring route to Alternator
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 01:28:41 AM »
The last push-in clip (closest to the alt) in the harness clips into the alt bracket.  That may be the one you have pushed into the fender?  Do you have a lot of slack in the wiring harness behind the fender?

I would try unclipping it from the fender as you have it now, and see if you have enough harness length to pull the end of the harness over to the alternator, possibly even further back in case you may have skipped a clip somewhere along the way, while also making sure the harness isnt hung up somewhere.
"Build them how the designers and engineers envisioned them to be"

www.TheMuscleCarGuys.com

smith69z

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 01:49:14 AM »
Thanks for the reply. The clip in the fender is correct since  its right after the split for the marker and driving light feeds. The wire going to the alt has to leave the clip and go straight across to the alt bracket, right in front of the washer jar. Just dosen't seem right. Every other RS pic I have been able to find has the alt feed comming up from behind the jar. It seems the alt feed was made to short. American wire harness. Thanks I apprecaite the reply.  hope someone with an original RS can shed some light.

RamAirDave

• View Profile
    • TheMuscleCarGuys.com
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 02:42:07 AM »
If all the clips are where they should be, and there is no slack in the harness (from the firewall all the way around the core support), then it may be a mis-made harness.  Not likely, but possible if the side marker wire is right near the clip you have in the fender.

Original harness:
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc112/TheMuscleCarGuys/1969%20Z28%20RS%20Gold/MVC-006F.jpg

AAW harnesses:
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc112/TheMuscleCarGuys/1969%20Z28%20RS%20Yellow/100_4311.jpg

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc112/TheMuscleCarGuys/1969%20Camaro%20Azure/100_4150.jpg
"Build them how the designers and engineers envisioned them to be"

www.TheMuscleCarGuys.com

anything