Author Topic: Guidance on dating of components  (Read 5559 times)

Flowjoe

• View Profile
Guidance on dating of components
« on: May 08, 2008, 04:06:20 AM »
So it turns out I am missing two pieces that I thought I had, A 61 AMP Alternator and a distributor.  This is for an LA built '69 SS 350 AT w/AC with a trim tag date of 01D and an engine build date of T0117HB.

How far ahead of the car and the engine should these two components be?

Can I use the NCRS guideline of six months prior to build date for these?

KurtS, this would seem to be a good one for you. :)

Thanks

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Guidance on dating of components
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 05:57:25 PM »
The distributor should be at least a week prior to the engine assembly date (it was installed at the engine plant), and the alternator should be at least a week prior to the car's final assembly date (it was installed on the engine dress line at the car assemby plant).
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Flowjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 09:22:04 PM »
The distributor should be at least a week prior to the engine assembly date (it was installed at the engine plant), and the alternator should be at least a week prior to the car's final assembly date (it was installed on the engine dress line at the car assemby plant).

that makes sense...how far back would you think its reasonable?  Same as for NCRS - up to  6 mos?

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 11:52:54 PM »
Just another data point for you.  I have the original 37A alternator in my 69RS.  Car was assembled at Norwood around 20-21 Jan 1969.  Date code on the alternator is Jan 7, 1969.

Most alternators and distributors I've noticed seem to be within a month of engine assembly if not within 2 weeks.  Not sure how the judging rules apply - assume that they do allow for more of a range of acceptable dates.
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

Flowjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 12:40:11 AM »
Just another data point for you.  I have the original 37A alternator in my 69RS.  Car was assembled at Norwood around 20-21 Jan 1969.  Date code on the alternator is Jan 7, 1969.

Most alternators and distributors I've noticed seem to be within a month of engine assembly if not within 2 weeks.  Not sure how the judging rules apply - assume that they do allow for more of a range of acceptable dates.
Thanks for the data point.  Based on some responses in another thread I went with an October 24th distributor...that would seem to fly.  I am still looking for an alternator

crobjones2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 02:48:09 AM »
Another data point
My 06A 69 SS Norwood engine built late may (5-25) has an May 8th alternator
Chris
69 SS 350

anything