Author Topic: How to get old gas out of the tank - siphon tube won't go in  (Read 9659 times)

67L48

• View Profile
How to get old gas out of the tank - siphon tube won't go in
« on: April 28, 2008, 01:51:19 PM »
67 SS.  Want to get the old gas out of my tank, but can't figure out how to do it.  There seems to be something in the gas inlet tube about 8" in. Blocks me from inserting any tubes or siphon lines into the tank.  What are my next options?  Thanks.

67L48
1967 Camaro SS 350
PG, factory air, console, fold down rear seat, PS, PB, butternut yellow, #s matching, original manual/warranty/POP, <60K miles
Northeast Iowa

Stillwater Camaro

• View Profile
Re: How to get old gas out of the tank - siphon tube won't go in
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 01:59:41 PM »
Remove the filler neck and see what is in there. The neck is separate from the tank and comes out of the rear panel by removing the 4 screws under the filler cap and the hose clamp at the tank.
1967 Camaro SS/RS 350
1966 Chevelle SS 396
1970 Chevelle SS 396

67L48

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 02:20:55 PM »
Thanks for the advice.  Simple, I suppose, but I was sort of scratching my head (not knowing that the tank and neck were two pieces).  Fortunately, the filler neck was easy to get off and easy to figure out how to remove.  Inside my filler neck was a funnel-shaped spring that was held in place by friction.  It was a bout 8 inches long and obviously is an anti-siphoning device.  I'm assuming that this wasn't stock.

Since it's not a daily driver, I yanked it out so that I'd have easier access to siphoning my tank, should I ever need to again.

The tricky part is getting all the gas out.  Went from 3/4 to 1/4 tank pretty easily.  Can't seem to get a pull on that last 1/4 tank.  Will try jacking up the front end to create more of a pool.

Thanks again.

67L48
1967 Camaro SS 350
PG, factory air, console, fold down rear seat, PS, PB, butternut yellow, #s matching, original manual/warranty/POP, <60K miles
Northeast Iowa

GaryL

• Marilyn and me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 02:23:45 PM »
That is why it was there. It is an old add-on part to prevent siphoning. ;)
Gary

Lemans Blue X33. DZ, M20, manual steering. Only BU code rear end is original.

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 04:41:35 PM »
That is why it was there. It is an old add-on part to prevent siphoning. ;)

And it obviously works very well!!     ;D

Paul

Stillwater Camaro

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 05:31:28 PM »
Thanks for the advice.  Simple, I suppose, but I was sort of scratching my head (not knowing that the tank and neck were two pieces).  Fortunately, the filler neck was easy to get off and easy to figure out how to remove.  Inside my filler neck was a funnel-shaped spring that was held in place by friction.  It was a bout 8 inches long and obviously is an anti-siphoning device.  I'm assuming that this wasn't stock.

Since it's not a daily driver, I yanked it out so that I'd have easier access to siphoning my tank, should I ever need to again.

The tricky part is getting all the gas out.  Went from 3/4 to 1/4 tank pretty easily.  Can't seem to get a pull on that last 1/4 tank.  Will try jacking up the front end to create more of a pool.

Thanks again.

The springs became popular during the Mid-East gas crisis of the mid-70's and, yeah, you might want to reinstall it to prevent loss of the current liquid gold too......:)

You can buy a small, hand drill powered pump, that works well for the last bit, because it actually pulls the liquid rather than depending on gravity to siphon. You should be able to move the suction hose around enough to get almost all of the gas out. Depending on how old and smelly it is, filling the tank with fresh gas will dilute a gallon or so of old enough to not matter.
1967 Camaro SS/RS 350
1966 Chevelle SS 396
1970 Chevelle SS 396

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 11:07:18 PM »
You could try connecting your siphon line to the fuel pickup line coming from the tank. I know it's a small diameter line, you could even hook up a cheap fuel pump to speed the process.

Good luck

Tom
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

anything