Author Topic: RS Vacuum hose route.  (Read 10719 times)

smith69z

• View Profile
RS Vacuum hose route.
« on: April 20, 2008, 08:17:16 PM »
Would any one know if the hose from the vacuum source goes in the wire tray, between the distrib and firewall or in front of the dist to the manifold? Seems like it should go through the wire gutter but the AIM shows it going between the carb and the dist. (I think).
Thanks

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
Re: RS Vacuum hose route.
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 02:29:39 AM »
The RS vacuum hose routing on my '68 RSZ/28 goes from the vacuum tee on the intake manifold into the "wire tray" on the firewall, drops under the windshield wiper motor, comes back up on the other side of the wiper motor and is then supported on the "hook" that is tack welded to the firewall behind the power brake booster and to the left of the trim tag.  The vacuum hose between the carburetor and distributor on my car goes to the power brake booster.  Hope that helps!

Paul

RamAirDave

• View Profile
    • TheMuscleCarGuys.com
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 03:56:35 AM »
It does not go into the wire gutter.  It joins into a strap near the wiper motor.
"Build them how the designers and engineers envisioned them to be"

www.TheMuscleCarGuys.com

smith69z

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 12:35:42 PM »
"It does not go into the wire gutter.  It joins into a strap near the wiper motor."

Then in front of or behind the distributer? Need to make my final cuts of the hose's and want to make sure they are router correctly before I cut them incorrectly.
Thanks for this info so far.

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 04:12:08 PM »
I guess '68s and '69s are routed differently??     ???

Paul

RamAirDave

• View Profile
    • TheMuscleCarGuys.com
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 01:17:13 AM »
Ive always routed them around the wire stand and behind the distributor, as my interpretation from the AIM (which I dont have handy right now to double-check).

www.TheMuscleCarGuys.com

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 04:11:28 PM »
It does not go into the wire gutter.  It joins into a strap near the wiper motor.

Ive always routed them around the wire stand and behind the distributor, as my interpretation from the AIM (which I dont have handy right now to double-check).

Dave -

I just checked my '68 AIM.  UPC Z22, Sheet A11 (page 433) shows the vacuum hose is routed in the "wire tray" for V8 engines!     :)

Paul

smith69z

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 12:10:33 AM »
The 69 AIM shows the hose not in the wire tray but its tough to make out if its between the firewall and the distrib or between the carb and the distrib. It seems 68's and 69's are different. I was hoping it didn't go through the wire gutter since I already cut it to short. Thanks for the replies guys!!!

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008, 07:23:56 PM »
Mine runs through the wire tray.

First pic shows during front end disassembly, vacuum hose is lying on top of the wire tray (it simply had slipped out of place).

Second plc shows during reassembly.

Although I agree, it is not totally clear in the AIM, to me it looked like the vacuum hose ran through the wire tray. Also, this would be a more logical choice than simply lying acrossl the back of the engine.
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

smith69z

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2008, 07:41:39 PM »
Thanks guys, it does seem that the wire gutter would be the place to run the hose.

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2008, 02:39:47 AM »
Thanks guys, it does seem that the wire gutter would be the place to run the hose.

:)

Below is a photo of a restored 1968 RS Z/28 engine bay.  You can see the vacuum hose in the "wire tray"...

Paul

RamAirDave

• View Profile
    • TheMuscleCarGuys.com
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2008, 03:40:33 AM »
Was looking in the 69 AIM this afternoon, it clearly shows it not to be routed in the wiring gutter/tray.

Could be possible (?) that a line worker would decide to route it there, but not per the AIM.

www.TheMuscleCarGuys.com

9T4Z

• View Profile
    • Gary's Camaro
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2008, 11:39:49 PM »
Was looking in the 69 AIM this afternoon, it clearly shows it not to be routed in the wiring gutter/tray.

Could be possible (?) that a line worker would decide to route it there, but not per the AIM.

Mine is just tossed behind the engine and runs to the filter and the hook on the pass side of the firewall.
Maybe people just "neatened" it up over the years?
Gary 9T4Z

94Z rag blower 491 rwhp (now 505!)
69 Pace Car, 70RS,91Z,91RS