Author Topic: How are Q-Jets judged ???  (Read 9482 times)

opelitis1

• View Profile
How are Q-Jets judged ???
« on: March 06, 2008, 04:09:49 PM »
Are Q-Jets judged to be correct for a certain car/engine combo by the vertical numbers either 7 or 5 or 4 alongwith the plant codes  and Julian dates located on the driver's side of the main body only???   When Rochester /Carter originally built the carbs, was there a certain baseplate  generic to a specific application or could they haved used a baseplate for many applicatioons??
I am looking carefully over the outside and there are raised numerals in circles on the carb base. There are also serial numbers when I turn over the top of the carb... 

Do the judges just look for a correct numbered and Julian date carb or do they really get into it re. hangers / metering rods / etc etc...  Reason I am asking this is, that I have Q-Jets from the 60's and 2 of them are seized.  Really don't want to screw up the throttle bores/ blades by forcing them. What do the name carb re-builders do in this situation???  I imagine they could apply a base from another carb to the "good-numbered" unit... 

I am not trying to deceive, otherwise I would not ask this question on a public forum. Thanks!!

nuch_ss396

• View Profile
Re: How are Q-Jets judged ???
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 04:32:40 PM »
Contact Phil Cancilla at Custom Rebuilt Carbs : thecarburetorman@aol.com

He's done all of my Holley & Rochester carb restorations.  He's been at it a very long time and no one knows better how they are judged.

Nuch
69 SS 396, Hugger Orange, D/80, D/90
Chambered Exhaust, N/66, THM400, 3:73 posi

Steve A.
  CRG

opelitis1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 02:45:53 PM »
Thanks Nuch for getting back to me!!!  When you think of it, all the money people are shelling out to have correct parts (even minute ones) that HAVE to be numbered correctly, there must've been  a list of  carb bodies with the right raised encircled numbers near the "HIC" to go along with specific,  Camaro applications...  Guess if I was trying to fool someone into buying a carb, I could just apply the right vertically numbered - dated -manufacturing  line - body onto a bogus throttle plate..   Again thanks for the contact!!!!  Ted

opelitis1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 12:55:30 PM »
Just keeping you guys updated on my question, I just e-mailed "thecarburetorman" this morning..   With big money being thrown in-consequential and minute parts that no one will ever see, I thought it kinda interesting to ask and understand how Q-Jets are judged.
If nobody checks a baseplate numbers as to correctness for a certain car, maybe I am wasting my time trying to "un-seize"  (3) 1960's collector Q-Jet carbs and could just throw another baseplate not correct for the throttle body onto the units...   Again, I am not trying to deceive anyone or I would not ask this on a Public Forum...  T.

Flowjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 02:31:06 AM »
What about Qjets that have the single Alpha character followed by a numeric for the year?  How are those judged (no julian dating)?

opelitis1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2008, 01:22:28 PM »
Good morning!!!  The carburetorman Phil Cancilla answered my query right away and his response to the Judging Quadrajets was as follows:  "The numbers in that circle on the baseplate are casting numbers.  Some casting numbers were used for several years yet others only one year.   Pontiac, Olds Buick are all different.  These numbers will not match the numbers on the carburetor body.  I cannot tell you for certain  if judges look at these numbers, I will tell you that if they are being scrutinized. it is being done by NCRS."

I then asked Phil a question about a 29251 RJ 1149 Olds H/O carb that I have and we are still conversing on this carb as to in fact if it is a numbered unit for a '69 Hurst Olds as one of the top 69 H/O gurus has the exact same 5 numbered carb, and his  unit is Julian dated a bit B 4 mine...

I do not belong to NCRS and in which case I am requesting if we want to go a mite further on this issue that they be contacted by a current NCRS member... I don't know where else to enquire, but I kinda think it is good question, and possibly deserves further attention...  Imagine someone with lots of green into a car and thinking he has the total package only to find out that is not the case esp. in the above Q-Jet base casting numbers. 
I wonder if Holleys have a similar casting system as I have a 3878261 3310 E H service replacement unit dated O 3 5 but someone nailed my baseplate, so to speak... Would I be in error  if I just bought another 780 baseplate  from wherever and passed it off like that...   Metering blocks /  fuel bowls /  etc etc are original to the GM number for a Z16 '65 Chevelle only it is a replacement dated carb...

Again, hopefully, an NCRS member could help out in this "Judging Q-Jets" question.....

Thanks Phil Cancilla for your valuable insight!!!   Ted in Montreal

Flowjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 05:02:57 PM »
JohnZ is an NCRS member and judge (IIRC) perhaps he will chime in.

FWIW, I've seen some Qjets without stamping on the base plates...cannot recall if they were CArter or Rochester built units.  I do recall that they looked original but who knows could have been swapped over the years

opelitis1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 07:01:20 PM »
Mr John Z has previously responded on another question called "Rochester Carb Application" put forth by Dab in March and replied that in essence,  he was a Holley person not having owned a Q-Jet ...  Maybe he could envoy this "How are Q-Jets judged" question to an appropriate person in NCRS who, in fact judges Q-Jets...  Who knows, maybe the baseplates are not looked at for any type of originality and just the vertical numbers, line and Julian date codes have to be on spec??? 
Again, if no one checks, why not apply a baseplate from a GMC truck and, as long as the carb body is correct in numbers/ line and Juliian date, let 'er rip!!!  Could you imagine the displeasure of a big name collector(s)  thinking he has everything spec on re. original carburetor and, unfortunately, it ain't dah case...   T.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 02:58:02 PM »
I only judge '56-'67 Corvettes, and they didn't use Q-Jets until 1968; I'll touch base with a '68-up judge and see what they look for.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

opelitis1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 07:55:11 PM »
Good afternoon John Z...  Any news on the "touching base" with a '68-up judge re Q-jets???   T.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2008, 02:34:55 PM »
Good afternoon John Z...  Any news on the "touching base" with a '68-up judge re Q-jets???   T.

Couldn't get much info, as most of my contacts are '57-'67 judges like me; about all I got was to look very closely at the stamped 7-digit part number on the horizontal ledge on the base - that surface should be all continuous. If there's a "step" in it with a defined "edge", it's been machined and restamped.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

opelitis1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2008, 06:17:40 PM »
Hi John...  To cut to the chase, do any judges who in fact scrutinize Q-Jets, even bother to look at the carb base encircled 7 digit numbers...  Mebbe I am wasting my time trying to free up the throttle plates, and I should apply another carb base not peculiar to the original carb body...  It just ain't gonna be original, but, if there ain't nobody a checkin' .... so be it...  I don't want to deceive anyone, but if it doesn't matter.....   Sorry John to be such a pain in the annular occlusion by keepin' on with this subject... To me it is kinda important as there is soooo much conniving (sp) a goin' on these days, eh???    T.

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2008, 02:50:44 AM »
Most people / judges wouldn't know the difference....
Kurt S
CRG

opelitis1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2008, 12:44:38 PM »
Thanks John Z and Kurt...   7029114 pics a-comin'.. It's the pixel adjustment again.  Sorry to be soooo tardy...     T.

anything