Author Topic: Under Coating  (Read 4209 times)

no69x-44

• View Profile
Under Coating
« on: April 19, 2008, 12:16:45 PM »
The rear wheel wells of my '69 are undercoated.  I didn't need to replace them as they are in fine shape as where the rear 1/4's.  So my question is this ... If the rears are undercoated ... then should the front wheel wells also be undercoated?  I had to replace one front wheel well and the other on is now also bear.  I was considering undercoating them to match the rear and also to help quite the stones that will be kicked up in there.  I was also thinking that the stones would chip the paint and would eventually start to rust.  But at the same time I'm trying to keep the car as original as possible and factory like.  Any advise?  Thanks in advance.
--Rob
----------------------------
'72 SS Nova - Gone
'68 Chevelle - Gone
'67 Impala - Gone
'65 Belair - Gone
'00 Corvette - Still got it
'69 Camaro - Keeper

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
Re: Under Coating
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 03:21:58 PM »
You'll find the answers to your questions in this CRG thread...  http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=1319.0

Paul

69houdini

• 69 SS X55 Butternut Vert / 68 Z28 Rally Green
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 07:03:01 PM »
Hi, I'm going through the same thing. I have an X55 SS vert from AZ. Extremely clean, but that Arizona desert dirt acts like an undercoating too. When I bought it I had to steam/pressure wash and it came out damn near perfect, one thing though, it took alot of the black paint with it. Any suggestions on repainting the undercarriage and engine bay so I don"t ruin the original look? This too is a #s matching original car. It does have 1 recent repaint in #40 original butternut yellow.   Thanks

Gambitt

• View Profile
    • My car
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 07:24:05 PM »
The front was undercoated too, but some say there is no sign of it on their cars.  Others like me notice there is undercoating on the front, but it is no where near as liberally applied as it was in the rear.