Author Topic: key warning switch on 69 Camaro  (Read 5911 times)

kaoskelley

• View Profile
key warning switch on 69 Camaro
« on: April 03, 2008, 08:23:40 PM »
I was replacing the ignition switch in my 69 Camaro and noticed that one the brass contacts that make up the key switch was loose and misalligned. Upon inspection I found that the clip that holds the key warning switch was broke. The key switch clip is a small plastic item that holds the two brass contacts that make the ignition switch it goes into the inside base of the sterring column just below the cavity that holds the ignition switch.

The key switch had been a nuisance for some time coming on at almost anytime. 

Does anyone know where to get these items? And how to assemble them? I have checked my Year One and Classic Catalogs for parts: none are listed. Ang my GM assembly manual and my Camaro restoration guide, neither show any details.

If I do not replace the "switch" will the key switch stay on?

Thanks for any help

George Kelley

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
Re: key warning switch on 69 Camaro
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 09:52:14 PM »
The procedure to remove and replace the ignition key warning switch begins on page 9-11 in the 1969 Chevrolet Chassis Service Manual.     :)

Paul

GaryL

• Marilyn and me
    • View Profile
Re: key warning switch on 69 Camaro
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 07:42:07 PM »
All the parts are available from Rick's or many places. The contacts for the buzzer are easy to replace. If you look at the key cylinder there is a little knob that sticks out when the key is inserted that pushes on the plastic part of the buzzer contacts. This completes the circuit. You need to remove the cylinder first to replace the contacts. They just slide in as a unit into a square hole in the column.
Gary

Lemans Blue X33. DZ, M20, manual steering. Only BU code rear end is original.