Author Topic: OLD RELIABLE GOING TO MECUM & THE NEW 1967 Z28 RACE CAR  (Read 9860 times)

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
OLD RELIABLE GOING TO MECUM & THE NEW 1967 Z28 RACE CAR
« on: May 11, 2008, 05:23:06 PM »
Thought I would post this here as it's Camaro related.  I just heard from Ray Fairall's old racing partner, Willie Hornberger.  I sent an e-mail to him and I am posting it here for all to read.  There is a thread on the Class Racer web site which is dedicated to most who are involved with NHRA class racing.  All on that site have been very supportive in my endeavors on selling Old Reliable and building my new Stock Eliminator race car, an original 1967 Z28 Camaro.

Enjoy,

Jerry 

Jerry,

Hi, Don Lensch turned me on to your web site about "Own a piece Of History" article you did and the photos included.I'm overwelmed by your interest in Ray's car and the experiences Ray and I enjoyed racing this historic car.  I understand that you planned to race this car again this year and would like to know when. Even though I retired from Westinghouse/Northrop Grumman and now live in the Villages, Florida.  I want to be where ever you decide to race Ray's car again.  Would you keep me informed about your restoration progress and coming out race?

Thanks,

Bill (Willie) Hornberger
The Villages, FL

Willie,

Thanks so much for writing.  I am so glad that you did as maybe you can fill in some of the blanks on the history that Ray cannot remember. 

The whole situation with selling Old Reliable is the right thing to do.  These famous race cars are at a premium and it's time to cash out.  I've had 14 great seasons with the Strickler car and now it's time to have a car that I can run under my own identity.  Ray's car is the perfect car for me.  It's the first 1967 Z28 that I ever got to see in person.  One of a handfull in the Baltimore area.  And the fact that Ray and I became friends all those many years ago.......you included, so what would be the coolest stocker in the world to build?  Has to be a 1967 Z28!  Only 602 built, and you guys created a local legacy in the area.  It's just a shame that it took so long to bring this car back to life.  Stock Eliminator is the best fit for this car too.  High winding small block 4-speed shifting at 8200 rpm.  What can be better?  No fiberglass, hood scoops, lexan windows, Dana rear ends, cut out wheel wells, and a full interior.  A factory built race car that runs in the tens with headers and 9" tires.  Does it get any better than this?  in my opinion, no is does not.  I fell in love with the Junior Stockers, Stockers and Z28s when I was 16 years old.  And in my eyes, they are still the coolest race cars on the planet........the factory built race cars.  My love affair for them still continues today and Stock Eliminator is the only class in all of motorsports that dictates a factory built car with no extensive modifications.       

Ray's car will be a very competitive car in E and D Stock and it will also be a show piece to all Camaro lovers too.  To date, there were only two known Tahoe turquoise 67 Z28s built with white deluxe interior, and the other one has not been located yet.  Ray's car is the only one built this way that does exist, and it's a rally sport to boot.  I know this because I run the national registry on the 1967 Z28 and have been doing so now for 20 years.  Only 200 1967 Z28s are known to exist at this point in time.  The time is right and you will be the first to know when and where the car debuts.  It will look just as it did when it was delivered to A.D.  Anderson back in June of 1967.  How sweet it is.........

Thanks Willie and stay in touch!

All the best,

Jerry 

maroman

• View Profile
Re: OLD RELIABLE GOING TO MECUM & THE NEW 1967 Z28 RACE CAR
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 05:37:57 PM »
Jerry, thanks for the update. Will you have it at the York Reunion this year? The first '67  Z I remember was a mountain green one at York US 30.
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 09:16:58 PM »
Jerry,

Good luck with Old Reliable, and please keep us all posted when you start running Ray's car. I'm sure more than a few of us would show up at local venues to see you run.

Tom
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

69LM1

• View Profile
    • http://www.69lm1.com
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 01:48:55 AM »
Jerry,
Good Luck with the Old Reliable Sale!

Sweet new project as well.....Nice vintage pics on your site:

http://www.z28camaro.com/project.html

Rich
Rich Pern
2012 Mustang Boss 302
69 COPO Camaro "Tin Soldier"
70 Z28 COPO
69 Camaro 307. Orig car from High School

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 02:58:10 AM »
Made it to Mecum, Indy auction.  About 10 hours with stops.  $180.00 to fill my truck with diesel.........one fill.  Weather started out good and then got worse as we headed west.

Will try to keep everyone posted, many, many cars here.

Jerry

rare4k

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 01:31:03 PM »
jerry, if you have time see if you can get me a couple picks of the 67 yenko thanks  and good luck with the car, Phil

fireZ

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 07:30:48 PM »
Jerry I seen Old Reliable car in Detroit years ago and still look at the pics. I took of the car. I think it was around 1994 and i still remember the  sound of the small block as you pulled it onto the lot. You are the true Z28 guy and I wish you luck with the sale of a real race car. See Ya Paul
1968 Z28 LA Built
LIC # RPO Z28

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 12:50:43 AM »
Thanks for the kiind comments, very hard to part with this car after 15 years of ownership...........various NHRA event and class wins, shows, etc.  But it's time to move on as the car is too valuable to keep racing and I want a car that has my own identity.  The new 1967 Z28 race car is the perfect fit for me at this time. 

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.  Phil, I will try and get pix of the Jim Parks 375 Yenko for you.  It's roped off so I'll have to see how crazy they get if I attempt to do that.

Jerry

69LM1

• View Profile
    • http://www.69lm1.com
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 07:13:45 PM »
What time does it go across the block?
Rich Pern
2012 Mustang Boss 302
69 COPO Camaro "Tin Soldier"
70 Z28 COPO
69 Camaro 307. Orig car from High School

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2008, 01:21:38 AM »
Lot #S142, scheduled for 4:55 pm, over $900,000.00 in collectable signs were sold Friday night.

Jerry

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2008, 12:06:08 PM »
Shot some photos of the trim tag on Jim Park's 67 Yenko, don't know if I got close enough as there are body guards watching these cars.  Vin is 230xxx.  Sit's up too high in the front (got the scared cat look) so someone must have changed he front springs.  It's also a factory disc brake car w/o power assist. 

Oh, and guess what, it has the wrong fan clutch!  $$$$$$$$$$, good luck finding one!  Some minor engine bay issues but overall a nice car with one repaint.

Jerry

rare4k

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2008, 09:12:18 PM »
he needs to hit a yard sale to find the clutch fan, ha ha  thats were I found mine,  good luck with the car again and if you get it sold Don't buy anything out there You have one to finish first

anything