Author Topic: date codes for dz engines  (Read 4107 times)

huggerz28

• View Profile
date codes for dz engines
« on: April 15, 2008, 11:38:39 PM »
Hi all, new to this site, have read posts for a long time but first time posting. Would like some input on something. I know this has probably been discussed before. What is the deal with 02D cars from Norwood? Can you have a first week March engine stamp on an 02D car? I have seen and read alot of debate about this, would like some other opinions on this. I have always heard that there is NO 03A cars from Norwood, thus there is overlap and you can have an engine stamped for 1st week of March. Any info would help me out tremendously. Thanks.

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: date codes for dz engines
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 12:02:14 AM »
Of the 30 02D Z/28s in my db 5 have early March engine dates.

The date on the body tag is not when the car was built. It is when the production order for the body was created. Fabrication of the body usually began shortly thereafter but not always-every 69 Camaro built in June has an 06A tag. A production order that was released by the Fisher body shop Feb 28, 1969 may not have been final assembled by Chevrolet until the middle of the following week, plenty of time for early March-built 302 engines to arrive at Norwood.  Our documented 06E '67 Z/28 had a July 6th MO engine.
Learning more and more about less and less...

huggerz28

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 04:19:27 PM »
Thanks for the info William. That is what I have always thought, too. I have an 02D car with a 1st week March dated DZ and I get alot of people who question the authenticity of my engine and others who don't believe it at all. Do the cars in your db have pop/build sheets with them? Thanks again.

rjprice

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 03:43:35 AM »
Were there 04A cars?  I don't think I have ever seen one.  My 03E '69 has an early April engine date.

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 04:32:30 AM »
Do the cars in your db have pop/build sheets with them? Thanks again.
Yes, there are several documented 02D cars with March drivetrains.
Kurt S
CRG