Author Topic: 69 decklid emblem holes  (Read 91160 times)

no69x-44

• View Profile
Re: 69 decklid emblem holes
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2008, 11:40:45 AM »
To my knowledge, all Camaro  models had the script on the trunk. On spoiler equipped cars it was moved up from the normal placement.

Does someone have a template of sorts of where the emblem would go on a spolier car?   I have a spolier car which the trunk may have been replaced in the early 70's as the car may have been hit in the rear.  There is NO emblem on the truck lid at this time and if there should be, I would like to install it ... and in the correct location.
--Rob
----------------------------
'72 SS Nova - Gone
'68 Chevelle - Gone
'67 Impala - Gone
'65 Belair - Gone
'00 Corvette - Still got it
'69 Camaro - Keeper

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2008, 02:55:02 PM »
On a factory spoiler car, the bottom straight edge of the emblem is 1-1/4" forward of the front edge of the spoiler, and the right edge of the "O" in Camaro is 4" from the edge of the lid.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

no69x-44

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2008, 04:12:17 PM »
On a factory spoiler car, the bottom straight edge of the emblem is 1-1/4" forward of the front edge of the spoiler, and the right edge of the "O" in Camaro is 4" from the edge of the lid.

Thanks for the update John.
--Rob
----------------------------
'72 SS Nova - Gone
'68 Chevelle - Gone
'67 Impala - Gone
'65 Belair - Gone
'00 Corvette - Still got it
'69 Camaro - Keeper

mark x22

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2008, 12:32:36 AM »
this is an original 12 B 1968 for my 69 .

samanatoo

• 69 Z28 Hugger Orange/Orange Houndstooth
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2008, 01:43:06 AM »
OK here is a question. My car is a 3rd week August 1969 build Z28. I have talked with all previous owners and the car has all original metal and never wrecked so trunk lid is original.  My car does not have a Camaro emblem moved up on the stripes.  My car is a D80 car and has the original heavy torsion bar to keep the trunk lid open with the extra weight of the spoiler. I have a 69 SS350 that I added the spoiler to when I rstored the car soI compared the 2.     My trunk lid on the Z28 has only one opening to get to the nuts  under where the emblem would go on a spoiler D80 car.  Could it be possible that my cars body was built and painted with the wrong trunk lid. Then when they realized they could not get to half the emblem nuts, they just left the emblem off alltogether???      I know the emblem holes were drilled on spoiler cars after the stripes were painted and my car should have the emblem.  Maybe they put a Pontiac deck lid on?? Any thoughts. 

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2008, 03:12:58 PM »
I know the emblem holes were drilled on spoiler cars after the stripes were painted and my car should have the emblem. 

Nope - the second set of emblem holes were fixture-drilled in the Body Shop, using the same combination drill fixture used for the spoiler attaching holes, before the body went to the Paint Shop.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2008, 04:54:40 PM »
The fact that the Firebirds were being built at Norwood by that time, may have caused a change to how the lids were delivered.  Chevy probably had the lids delivered to the plant with no holes in them at all after June or so so that they could drill the appropriate holes for a FB or Camaro as needed.  Therefore a spoiler car would only have the relocated holes in the lid after this change took place (if it did - I'm just thinking out loud)    Scheduling stuff after April must have gotten real exciting with F/B and Camaro parts being installed and both Chevy and Pontiac paints in the body shop.
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

samanatoo

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2008, 10:52:41 PM »
Thanks Mark, I am sure mistakes could have happened. I was just curious and i am leaving the car as it left the plant.  I am not drilling holes and an emblem looks better withg out it anyway.

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2008, 01:56:26 AM »
My trunk lid on the Z28 has only one opening to get to the nuts  under where the emblem would go on a spoiler D80 car.  Could it be possible that my cars body was built and painted with the wrong trunk lid.
If your 08C car doesn't have the correct access holes for both emblem sets in the bottom side of the decklid, then it's not the original decklid. There was only one style of decklid in the plant and it had the access holes.
Kurt S
CRG

samanatoo

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2008, 01:24:48 AM »
It has only one access hole for the spoiler emblem relocate.  Is there a date I can see or what year my lid is for?? thanks

samanatoo

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2008, 02:49:47 AM »
Hey Kurt or John or anyone we know that my car was built around the 8th or 9th of August 1969 by the last six of the vin. Is there anyway to tell why my Z28 has a different lid? or how can I tell a date.  All previous owners do not remember there being a camaro script emblem on the deck lid.  Any ideas ??????????    Maybe they used older lids or whatever they could find when they extended production for the 1969 model in August

KevinW

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2008, 10:42:37 PM »
While I cannot help with the data points in this thread, Oct 68 car with both sets of holes :)  I want to go back to the car with the dum-dum on the lower set.  I just got the camaro painted and wondered what you do with the lower holes?  The spoiler will not seal that well to keep water from exiting the lower holes. Just put a glop of dumdum on like chewing gum on each hole?  masking tape? something else?

mark x22

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2008, 11:23:35 PM »
mine built 12B 1968 had what looked like black paper tape over the holes .

KevinW

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2008, 05:12:04 PM »
mine built 12B 1968 had what looked like black paper tape over the holes .

Mark that might have been black masking tape, was it on the top or underneath?  thanks

mark x22

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2008, 10:39:43 PM »
on top and wide enough to cover all holes from left to right in one piece . could it be the same type of tape used to tape frame bushings in place during assembly ?