Author Topic: Repro Spiral Shocks  (Read 14446 times)

68Zproject

• View Profile
Re: Repro Spiral Shocks
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2008, 04:47:02 PM »
Does anyone know if there is a shock that would approximate what the original shock was like?  I just put these spirals on to see how different it would be.  As stated above, it is unacceptable.  Since these repros don't represent the originals, I was curious if there was a shock that would.
68Z28

GaryL

• Marilyn and me
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2008, 03:57:13 AM »
What is a good quality shock to use. Please don't tell me Koni.
Gary

Lemans Blue X33. DZ, M20, manual steering. Only BU code rear end is original.

Stingr69

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2009, 01:58:33 PM »
I have tried several types of shocks on my car. The KYB's were VERY stiff, especialy in the rear and were promptly removed (sold on Epay). The next set was some Bilstein HD's. Bilstein did not offer the "Sport" versions for my '69 Camaro or I would have tried them. I have REALLY enjoyed the Bilstein Sports on my C3 Vette but these "HD" shocks from Bilstein were a bit of a dissapointment on the Camaro, especially so considering the $$$ cost. They vastly improved over the KYB's but I felt there was still some room for improvement in ride available. I don't expect it to ride like a Fleetwood Bougham but it should not ride like a hard tail chopper either. Handling is important but these old cars will never handle anywhere near what a new one does. You might has well save your dental work while you drive.

The current good setup is basic cheap Monroe gas shocks and these are staying on the car. I am pleased with the ride and not too frustrated with the handling. It handles probably close to original and they are not expensive either.

Anyone want a good deal on a set of Bilstein HD's? :)

-Mark.