Author Topic: Repro Spiral Shocks  (Read 14451 times)

68Zproject

• View Profile
Repro Spiral Shocks
« on: April 15, 2008, 02:41:50 AM »
Has anyone used any of the repro spiral shocks?  I got a set of four.  The rear ones seem to be fine, but the front ones are very floaty.  I feel like I'm in a boat.  I know these cars are not up to today's standards, but this is real pronounced.  When I go over a bump, the front end floats up and down a couple of times.  I bounced the front end up and down and it quits after two bounces.  Normally, doesn't it stop right away?
Does anyone remember how the cars handled the bumps with these shocks when they were new?  I'm thinking that maybe the repro's aren't quite up to the real things, I hope.
68Z28

GaryL

• Marilyn and me
    • View Profile
Re: Repro Spiral Shocks
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 02:50:49 AM »
Mine act just as you say. If I bounce the front end they dampen OK.
Gary

Lemans Blue X33. DZ, M20, manual steering. Only BU code rear end is original.

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 03:30:57 AM »
From what I hear, they aren't good for driving. Put on some Koni's and you'll be happier. Paint them gray though. :)
Kurt S
CRG

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 04:53:50 AM »
I know 40 years is a bit much to ask, but were the original ones as bad as the repos?  That would ruin my picture of the glory of these cars when they were new.
68Z28

Pex68

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 11:28:36 AM »
I originally had the Koni's, ride was superb.  I put the re-pop spirals in when I started showing the car.  I think the ride is harsher-but I don't really DRIVE her anymore.  The spirals are just fixed dampeners-no valving, not charged-most likely what it was back then too.  To answer your question though, mine are not "floatie" as you described.  What numbers did you get maybe that makes a difference too?  Mine are 319477 and 3192851.

May want to see this also if you haven't already.
http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=140.msg809#msg809
Chris P
1968 Sequoia Green SS 396/325 M20

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 12:16:56 AM »
I saw your past post and I got these shocks before I even looked here or was a member.  I don't remember how I found the right numbers, but I have the same ones you do.  When I stomp on the front bumper and bounce it, when  you stop, it keeps going for two bounces.  All cars I've seen with good shocks stop right away.  I'm just going to put the KYB's that were on it back on.  It doesn't inspire confidence with the spiral ones on front.  The back ones are fine.
68Z28

lcmc

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 01:08:30 AM »
I have them on my 69Z that I just bought. I was worried that I had serious front end problems until I read this post. My car is all over the place, especially on an uneven country road. The car floats like crazy.
Danny
1969 Z/28 X77
1970 Nova L78 9300 original miles

jl8dale

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 01:26:49 AM »
Congratulations Danny on the new car!
1969 Z/28 Daytona Yellow/Yellow Houndstooth, Tilt, Fold Down Seat, - POP

Pex68

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 09:33:06 PM »
68Z, If you can really get your car bouncing with just your weight on it, it's more of the springs being worn than the shocks not working.  How old are the springs?  What do the rebound bumpers look like on the lower control arms?  You should also measure your ride height to see if their sagged, but take into account tire size if you’re not running stock tires.  Sagging springs will store a lot of energy and are easier to compress so when you bounce your front end, you’re releasing that energy and getting a lot of movement.  A better shock will control the spring more, but is not really a fix for weak springs.  Just my 2 pennies if it helps!

Danny, second the Congrats on the new car & wish you all the luck in the world with it!  Awesome that it's a Canadian car for documentation.
Chris P

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2008, 11:52:17 PM »
They're the original springs.  I'm going to put the gas shocks I had back on, it was fine with those.  I didn't think there would be such a difference with the spirals, but I think the quality is marginal.
68Z28

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2008, 03:31:17 AM »
68Z, If you can really get your car bouncing with just your weight on it, it's more of the springs being worn than the shocks not working. 
I'm not buying that. Though springs have a small amount of inherent dampening, it's the shock absorber that is the dampener in the system.
When those repros first came out, they were labeled 'show only, not for driving'. Doubt that has changed and that's the problem he's having.
Kurt S
CRG

Pex68

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2008, 04:32:12 AM »
68Z, If you can really get your car bouncing with just your weight on it, it's more of the springs being worn than the shocks not working. 
I'm not buying that. Though springs have a small amount of inherent dampening, it's the shock absorber that is the dampener in the system.
When those repros first came out, they were labeled 'show only, not for driving'. Doubt that has changed and that's the problem he's having.
Kurt, I'm not saying that the springs have anything to do with the dampening-the shock IS the dampener, I'm just saying if the springs are worn, the car will bounce more because the springs are weak and cannot fully support the weight of the car anymore, therefore they have sagged and are now allowing more movement in the suspension and more bounce.  You should not be able to bounce the front of a Camaro with just your weight like you can a Lincoln because the suspension is supposed to be stiff, it's a sports car!  I also agreed that better shocks will control the springs more than the repop spirals, heck any gas charged shock will.  IMO, with 40 year old springs, I just feel that the shock is not root of his issue with the car feeling like a boat going down the road. :)
Chris P

Chris_Pisane

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2008, 04:50:02 AM »
I have the repop spiral shock on the JL8, with new front  springs and the repop bias ply tires. I think the ride sucks. But I was after looks.

My plain 69 Z has radial T/As and  monroe gas shocks.It rides and handles much better.

What I couldnt believe was for the  $300 you pay for the repop sparals, you didnt even get the  bushings, washers and nuts etc, that you get with a cheap set.
Chris Pisane....Fathom green 69 z/28 ,Lemans blue 69 JL8 Z/28 http://cpisane.photosite.com/

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2008, 05:16:30 AM »

Mine weren't, but I think they should be.  I didn't mean to cause dissention, I just wondered if the spiral repros seemed to be less than a perfect reproduction.  As usual, I'm going to have to assume that's the case.  When I get my prop valve back, I will report on how it goes with the gas shocks I had on to begin with.
68Z28

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2008, 02:47:50 PM »
I'm just saying if the springs are worn, the car will bounce more because the springs are weak and cannot fully support the weight of the car anymore, therefore they have sagged and are now allowing more movement in the suspension and more bounce. 

It's the shocks, not the springs. Weak/sagged springs result in lower static ride height and LESS suspension movement (not more) for the same load before encountering the jounce bumpers. The repro spiral shocks are junk in terms of jounce and rebound damping, and are indeed "for show only". Shocks are a critical component in suspension tuning (along with tires), and flabby shocks with bias-ply tires are a guaranteed recipe for dissatisfaction and poor handling. I can't think of ANY reason to put those junk shocks on a driven car.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

anything