Author Topic: YH Rally Wheel date code vs car assembly date?  (Read 10330 times)

Dave69x33

• View Profile
YH Rally Wheel date code vs car assembly date?
« on: April 15, 2008, 12:58:33 AM »
What are typical date codes on the rims vs. the assembly date code of the car? 

JohnZ...I am curious what your wheel date codes are vs. your car assembly date?  Are your 69Z rims the early "AD" rims or "YH" and are they all the same date code?   I don't recall if you have an early Z.

What is considered ideal or acceptable wheel date codes, the same month or one month prior the car build date? 

Anyone else out there with a survivor 69Z with the original rims?

Thanks,

jl8dale

• View Profile
Re: YH Rally Wheel date code vs car assembly date?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 01:56:11 AM »
I have an 04C LA Z/28 with 2-26-69 rims.
One was 12-18-68.

Hope that helps.
1969 Z/28 Daytona Yellow/Yellow Houndstooth, Tilt, Fold Down Seat, - POP

70lt1z28

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 11:43:58 AM »
I have a late 10E build date car with all original wheels dated K19   10   13

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 02:16:44 PM »
JohnZ...I am curious what your wheel date codes are vs. your car assembly date?  Are your 69Z rims the early "AD" rims or "YH" and are they all the same date code?   I don't recall if you have an early Z.

My 02D Norwood Z/28 has January-dated "YH" wheels.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

red69

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 02:39:52 PM »
My car is an LA built Z-28, 12C, the spare is dated K-18-8 YH code
   Pat

hihorse

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 09:27:06 PM »
JohnZ...I am curious what your wheel date codes are vs. your car assembly date?  Are your 69Z rims the early "AD" rims or "YH" and are they all the same date code?   I don't recall if you have an early Z.

My 02D Norwood Z/28 has January-dated "YH" wheels.
My car is also 02D, John, what are the actual dates on the wheels?
thanks
Carmine

Dave69x33

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 12:39:52 AM »
Thanks everyone. These date codes are what I expected.  It appears that wheels, dated about 2 - 6 weeks before the car build date can be considered “ideal”; however, as we have learned, anything is possible. 

After I posted the question, I found a similar discussion from October 2007.  From that discussion JohnZ noted that the Kelsey-Hayes rims came by the thousands stacked herringboned style in rail cars.  The assembly plant was not concerned about pulling wheels in common date coded lots, but rather to keep them grouped in correct wheel contours and sizes.   

Learning how material was shipped to the assembly plant: lot sizes, dunnage packaging, frequency of shipments, etc., gives us clues about how variations in date codes among the components are often found.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 02:14:17 PM »
After I posted the question, I found a similar discussion from October 2007.  From that discussion JohnZ noted that the Kelsey-Hayes rims came by the thousands stacked herringboned style in rail cars.  The assembly plant was not concerned about pulling wheels in common date coded lots, but rather to keep them grouped in correct wheel contours and sizes. 

I'll repeat this again just to emphasize it - nobody in an assembly plant paid any attention whatsoever to any date on any part; all that mattered was to use the correct part number for the application. The only time anyone checked a part date was if there was a supplier quality issue and they were trying to narrow down the quantity of parts that may have been affected. About three million parts went through an assembly plant every day, and the focus was solely on getting the right parts on the right cars. Nobody paid any attention to dates unless there was a problem.

Things are very different today - with the emphasis on traceability, lot control by date is a normal part of plant operations, particularly for safety-related parts and assemblies, and safety-related parts are stocked to the line by date chronology and the records are logged that way.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

sixt9x33rs

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2008, 11:34:40 PM »
My 03D Norwood car has K-19-2-28 wheels.
'69 RS Z/28 65B, 711 Flat hood no spoiler, endura, 4:10 43K miles
69 X77 Z/28 69 69 711 Original Paint Unrestored (Sold)
'69 X66 Convertible 69B 712 auto, (Sold) 44K miles

anything