Author Topic: 68 multi leafs in AIM?  (Read 7225 times)

68Zproject

• View Profile
68 multi leafs in AIM?
« on: April 04, 2008, 05:01:43 AM »
Just wondered, I got cross-eyed looking, but I couldn't find a section in the AIM for multi-leaf springs.  I'm putting the repro spiral shocks on and the AIM pics don't look like my set up.  I think they can only go on one way, but I wanted to be sure.  There is one pic in Jerry's book and it showed one side and that's the way I put mine on.  Anyone have some pics of the way their shocks go on?  Thanks.
68Z28

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
Re: 68 multi leafs in AIM?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 05:44:36 AM »
Just wondered, I got cross-eyed looking, but I couldn't find a section in the AIM for multi-leaf springs.  I'm putting the repro spiral shocks on and the AIM pics don't look like my set up.  I think they can only go on one way, but I wanted to be sure.  There is one pic in Jerry's book and it showed one side and that's the way I put mine on.  Anyone have some pics of the way their shocks go on?  Thanks.

See UPC 4, Sheet B3 in the '68 AIM.  The rear shock installation is the same as the single leaf springs.

Paul 

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 06:17:05 AM »
On the B3 sheet it shows the shock going betweeen two wings on the plate with the bolt going through them.  On mine, there is just one wing and I think the shock can only go one way, but it might be able to go on either side of it.
68Z28

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 05:33:22 PM »
On the B3 sheet it shows the shock going betweeen two wings on the plate with the bolt going through them.  On mine, there is just one wing and I think the shock can only go one way, but it might be able to go on either side of it.

Your right!  The drawing on that page (See UPC 4, Sheet B3 in the '68 AIM) is wrong for multi-leaf rear springs.  I found a drawing of the correct rear shock installation (as least how it looks in my car) for multi-leaf springs under UPC L35, Sheet A13 in the '68 AIM.  I looked under my car and you can't put the shocks on the other side of the shock plate.     :)

Paul

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 10:11:48 PM »
Thanks Paul.  It was kind of late and I was cross-eyed looking for it.  That makes much more sense, as the shock already has a bolt in it.
68Z28

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2008, 04:38:58 PM »
Your right!  The drawing on that page (See UPC 4, Sheet B3 in the '68 AIM) is wrong for multi-leaf rear springs. 

That's because the UPC 4 section only shows the "base car" (monoleaf) condition; multi-leaf springs were part of the L35, L48, and L78 options that used 12-bolt axles, so the assembly illustrations for multi-leaf springs are in those option sections. L35 shows the multi-leaf illustration, and both L48 and L78 refer you to the L35 illustration on the "non-illustrated parts" index sheet under "UPC 4" at the beginning of those two sections.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2008, 07:06:03 PM »
multi-leaf springs were part of the L35, L48, and L78 options that used 12-bolt axles, so the assembly illustrations for multi-leaf springs are in those option sections. L35 shows the multi-leaf illustration, and both L48 and L78 refer you to the L35 illustration on the "non-illustrated parts" index sheet under "UPC 4" at the beginning of those two sections.

This also applies to the Z/28 option too!     :)

Paul

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2008, 10:04:30 PM »
Your right!  The drawing on that page (See UPC 4, Sheet B3 in the '68 AIM) is wrong for multi-leaf rear springs. 

That's because the UPC 4 section only shows the "base car" (monoleaf) condition; multi-leaf springs were part of the L35, L48, and L78 options that used 12-bolt axles, so the assembly illustrations for multi-leaf springs are in those option sections. L35 shows the multi-leaf illustration, and both L48 and L78 refer you to the L35 illustration on the "non-illustrated parts" index sheet under "UPC 4" at the beginning of those two sections.

Some day, you'll have to give us a tutorial on how to read the AIM.  I get a headache trying to figure it out.  Thanks JZ and Paul.
68Z28

WayneinNZ

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 08:58:40 AM »
Amazing what you find in the forums when you have a few hours spare.
I also have a 4 leaf 12 bolt in my car and it has the (as it now appears) the mono bottom plate.
I am having problems with the shocks. The previous owner fitted Koni Adjustables and they seem to be the wrong ones for a number of reasons.
Firstly with the shocks not connected to the bottom plate I can hop in the boot and bounce the rear end quite well. With them bolted up and I try again there is virtually no movement.
Secondly when I checked teh part number on teh Koni site it appears I have the wrong ones fitted.
I checked with a Koni dealer today and aparently the two part number are the same dampening rate but the ones listed for a multi leaf rear end are about 30mm shorter.
Bearing in mind that the adjustable part relates only to the rebound and not the bound.
SO my question is..... does the multi leaf lower mounting plate have the hole for attaching the bottom of the shock at the same distance from the bottom of the plate as the mounting plate for the mono leaf spring?
What is the major diference between the two types of mounting plates other than the number of "wings"?

Furher to all this, just to add to the confusion, the rear springs are brand new Landrums. I am unsure of the spring rate.

I hope this all makes sense. I would like to get it right as at the moment i have two 40kg bags of cement in the boot to inprove the ride.( DONT LAUGH )

Cheers

Wayne