I did this about 10 years ago and it is not all that difficult. After removing my dash mounted fuel gage, the opening had to be enlarged in order to accomodate a tach. This was easily accomplished, with care, with a hole saw. Before modifying the cluster in my car, I had picked up a damaged one from a junk yard that had several Camaros in it. I practiced the cut, tach fit, etc on the damage cluster before cutting on the one in my car. I mainly wanted to verify the fit of the tack in the dash panel after the enlarging the opening. All went well.
My car came with a console. As a part of the effort, was the installation of console gages. The gage kit came with an extension harness to wire the gages into the existing console harness. The wire from to the fuel gage had to be re routed from the dash to the console - no problem - all went well. The oil pressure connection is pvc tubing fromt he back of the block, throught the firewall directly to the gage. Temp gage wiring was already there. Simply re-routed it from the idiot light in the dash down to the console and replaced the sending unit from the on/off type for the idiot light to the proper sending unit for the gage.
So far, so good - The ammeter gage in the console required new wiring to be routed into the car and properly terminated in the engine compartment. For the tach, a seperate lead was run through the firewall to the coil. Some spaghetti, but not too bad, and all worked well.
Where it really got good was from 2004 to mid 2005 when I completely disassembled the front of the car back to the firewall. I replaced both engine compartment wiring harnesses. The replacement engine harness was purchased for a car with console gages. This harness has the tach, ammeter, temp gage wiring as an integral part of the harness - which completely cleaned up the engine compartment. Under the dash, instead having to run the ammeter and tach wiring through the dash, they simply terminate at the proper locations on the dash side of the fuse block. Engine wiring harnes plugs into the engine side of the fuse block and all is as GM originally designed it.
Good luck on the update - take your time - no big deal.